We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you have children (under the age of 18) in your household who use a smartphone or tablet?

davidcourt

Likes # 0

We're researching the amount of interaction children have with phones and tablets.

Anecdotally it seems that virtually all children at least have access to a phone to play with, even if they don't have a mobile device of their own.

So what happens in your household? Let us know in our poll and this discussion.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

My son is not quite 18 so he just qualifies but both son and daughter have had smart phones by the time they were 16.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have children but they are over 18 and have left home. I shall ignore this questionnaire which doesn't permit that answer.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Two and a half year old grandson loves to play on the phone apps that have pictures of animals and their associated sounds + some of the games like Angry Birds.

Like any child of this age, his attention to the phone doesn't last more than a few minutes at a time. He seems to get more fun playing with other things pretending to use them like a phone.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

No but we are two well over 70 year olds who have both!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My neice's new baby, a little girl of 4 months, has been photographed so many times [is that 'p' word still in use?],by dozens of different 'smart' phones by different friends and relations ... poor little girl, that I think she, (the baby), has already developed an extra thick skin / mantle regarding smart phones ... and social networking, and who could blame her.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I have a brother (much younger than me) who has recently turned 12 years old. He's had a smartphone for almost a year. Most of his classmates had phones years before him too.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

With a secondary school a short walk away I see the kids using them all the time on their way to and from it. These phones cost more than the clothes they wear!

Of all the kids that I know through fixing their laptops or family computers I would say that the vast majority of 11+ year olds have a mobile phone of some description. By the time they are 13/14 they have smartphones.

The takeup of tablets however is much less pronounced. To a kid the smartphone is top priority and then, those more fortunate might have a larger tablet but because of the poor integration with MS Office, which they use in school, most parents prefer them to have a more traditional device for homework. (After all - they are the footing the bill in most cases.)

Like this post
tanjagersten

Likes # 0

My son has become an android expert for tablets, phones and what not, he's only 14.

Like this post
User8662

Likes # 0

My grandson in 12 and he would like a phone but doesn't have one. His mother thinks he is too young and I agree. There is no need for a young kid to have all these expensive smartphones etc. What do they have to look forward to.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features