We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poll: What gadget do you most want to find in your stocking?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

What gadget do you most want to find in your stocking?

Let us know in our poll.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Tangalooma_2006

"I see Ebenezer Scrooge is alive and kicking"

I personally voted for 'no gifts', and if that qualifies me to be a target for your unpleasant remark, so be it. I voted that way because I already have most of the things I want for a happy life, and I know that my children and other members of my family aren't exactly rolling in spare cash at the moment - for one reason or another. We have therefore told everyone to send us a card,and to visit us if they can, but otherwise not to spend any money on presents this year.

I guess that there are millions of others in much the same situation,and it's perfectly possible to enjoy the festivities without piles of expensive presents.

Yours quite happily,

Ebenezer Scrooge.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As I've already bought myself a tablet I would like a new pc.... the youngest of mine is 6 years old, but I'm making do with a couple of new hard drives instead.

How sad is that - got to buy my own presents :( .. Actually I quite like it, much better than wasting £'s on t'others that don't appreciate it anyway.

Like this post
estuary

Likes # 0

For the last couple of months my wife has been putting £8 a day into a jar in the kitchen ,this is what I used to spend on fags. On friday she handed me £400 in cash and told me to go out and buy an early stocking filler, a new ipad4.I think I earned it.Now saving for a new pc.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

FE

Two questions:

Would you have locked the thread if the full phrase of '(banned word) stocking' had been used?

Are you going to provide a countdown to the specific point of unshackling?

:-))

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

johndrew. I doubt it as he has already told you in a previous posting when the dreaded day will be. From then on we will be inundated with tales of woe etc. Every post will have the dreaded theme running through it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"it's perfectly possible to enjoy the festivities without piles of expensive presents."

So long as I at least get some selection boxes, I can go along with that:)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

johndrew

Two answers:-

No (although I would have edited the post to remove the offending word)

and

No, I'm not.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Some Easter Eggs maybe?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

IMHO its the present buying and sheer excess that has spoiled "that word we can't use yet".

There is stuff I would like, but nothing I need.

If I needed it, I would have bought it myself before this time of year.

I will make it an excuse to visit friends for a chat and a small drink (non alcoholic if driving).

I know people who panic about what presents to get others.

Isn't this a time we should be relaxing not worrying?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Years of working in retail ruined the winter festivities for me, it's just a commercial mess now, with the stores fully decorated by September, and the sales staring late November because all the tat the stores bought in isn't selling, and they need some cash in the tills so they can pay for Easter Eggs to be delivered Boxing Day.

Anyway, I voted for Tablet, as I hope Santa has a spare Nexus 7 for someone who's been a good boy all year...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...