We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Israel and the Gaza strip

john bunyan

Likes # 0

This seems an intractable problem. The Israelis will not allow ships etc to go to Gaza as they fear smuggling of arms and rockets. Hamas responds by smuggling through tunnels from Egypt.The whole Palestinian embryo State has been seeking statehood for years but even they cannot show a united front. The Israelis continue to build in disputed land. Iran stirs it up in the background. The Israeli response to rocket attacks is disproportionate. The whole thing could get out of hand. Talks seem a waste of time as each side loathes the other. How depressing; there seems little hope for peace in our time.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 1

What a nice impartial viewpoint.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Killing someone willing to make peace looks like a bit of a mistake unless Israel didn't want the trouble to end"

What a rather silly statement to make.

Israel and the Arab States are fully aware of the rules of the game, and will continue to play to the rules that suits each other.

I bet at this very moment the Israelis are thinking on the lines that the more rockets fired at them, and doing little damage, will soon result in a a lull or peace process while new stocks are being requisitioned at great cost and effort.

Some of the action is taking place in the Golan heights, and I recall how that area was fortified in the 1970's, and no doubt much more work and security as been adopted since then.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"It seems unlikely that any 'small' player would instigate a nuclear exchange when their own lands would be the first to be razed to the ground by the 'big boys'."

I;m afraid this discounts teh "jihad".

As I;ve said before, any Muslim nuking Israel know they will spend eternity in Heaven being waited on by nubile virgins, and in 1,000 years their name will be revered throughout Islam.

They;ve been fighting over this land for perhaps 3,500 years.

Another thousand or so is not going to make any difference.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Fourm member

I would equally "mock" a similarly biased viewpoint if it was from an Israeli perspective.

It is the radical, fanatical bigots and zealots from both sides who for example make statements about the killing of children winning votes, that have led to the current situation.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd "jihad"

I'm afraid we disagree on this! Jihad has often been seen as lone perpetrators strapping a bomb on themselves and causing mayhem - on the instruction of a 'handler'.

But if you are talking about "any Muslim nuking Israel" then it would require the 'handler' to be a government or sophisticated group capable of producing the means and delivery method.

These 'handlers', would not be likely to want to meet their own 'virgins' (just yet anyway) and would hardly wish a nuclear holocaust to fall upon themselves - not quite the same as a suicide bomber causing only 'local' difficulty that does not put them in the direct, retaliatory, firing line. Whereas a nuclear war would affect everyone, regardless.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

It is simple, if you do not want to be compared to a zealot and bigot don't make inflametory statements normally associated with zealots and bigots.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Please show me any reliable story that coonfirms the Israeli government are deliberately killing children so they win votes in their upcoming election.

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

fourm member

This is a first. You quoting Fox news as a source for unbiased news.

How would you expect the UK to react if the Falkland Islands were to be constantly bombarded with missiles every day, for years. Would you expect the United Kingdom gfoverment to shake there heads and not retaliate?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Oh please,

Your exact words were

" Israel has an election coming up and killing Palestinian children is a vote winner"

I will leave others to draw their own conclusions.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

fourm member The CNN report in your link was written by someone who has a pro-Palestine bias, and although it's an extremely interesting peace it hardly qualifies as an objective assessment of the situation.

It certainly doesn't lead me to draw the conclusion that Ahmed Jabari wanted to make peace, or that Israel "didn't want the trouble to end."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers