We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Israel and the Gaza strip

john bunyan

Likes # 0

This seems an intractable problem. The Israelis will not allow ships etc to go to Gaza as they fear smuggling of arms and rockets. Hamas responds by smuggling through tunnels from Egypt.The whole Palestinian embryo State has been seeking statehood for years but even they cannot show a united front. The Israelis continue to build in disputed land. Iran stirs it up in the background. The Israeli response to rocket attacks is disproportionate. The whole thing could get out of hand. Talks seem a waste of time as each side loathes the other. How depressing; there seems little hope for peace in our time.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The Israeli response to rocket attacks is disproportionate.

that depends on your point of view -

the Israeli point of view is slam it down hard before it gets worse, we will not be overcome again.

this from friends in Israel.

I have spent time there, its a beautiful country and I feel sorry there is so much conflict - quite unsettling to be scanned for guns and knives just when entering a shop.

in some parts Arabs and Israelis work and live together peacefully - in others "never the twain shall meet".

Peace in our time? There has not been any point in my lifetime where this has happened - there has always been a war happening somewhere on the planet.

Acording to Andrew Marr History of the World, we live in much more peaceful times than any of our ancestors.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

fourm member. If I may say so I think that is a lot of tripe. You have a vivid imagination.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

forum member

I agree - mine was a very brief summary to get a thread going. I had it on very good authority recently that the UK defence top brass are thinking that the next big problem after the Afghanistan withdrawal is Iran and the whole Middle East.I also agree with Fruit Bat re relatively peaceful times, but I fear breakers ahead in the Middle East with so much hatred around.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've declared war on the gnats that appear on my windows [inside windows] ... I just squash them against the window-pane but next morning, dozens of 'em reappear for the same punishment; if I were to put my plant pots outside the gnats would be free to do as they please.

Israel treats it's neighbours in a similar way ... this is just my opinion.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Southern Israelis who live near the border with Gaza are in a constant state of tension. They fear (and with good reason) the rocket attacks that are a feature of the state of more or less permanent conflict.

Israel's justification for its retaliation is that its citizens are entitled to live without this constant threat.Israel regards Hamas as a terrorist organisation.

Both sides want something - Hamas desperately needs the Gaza/Israel cargo crossings open. Israel wants the Palestinian attacks to cease, a truce that is internationally supervised, and the re-arming of Hamas to stop.

All of that is incidental to what is at the real heart of the matter, and that's land. It has been a central issue for decades, and the way things look at the moment there is virtually no hope of any kind of lasting settlement. People on both sides are killed, and that breeds a burning desire for revenge in the young of both Palestinians and Israelis alike. It's a self-perpetuating situation.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

My thoughts were start with Palestine then move quickly into Iran.

They have the excuse now that Iran has been supplying Palastine with long range missiles which they are using to target Israel city's.

Probably wrong of course but no doubt the fuel prices will shoot up shortly.

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

If the situation escalates and other parts of Arabia are drawn into the conflict and it turns into a much nastier situation there's a possibility countries like Russia (another nutter in power) can intervene and where do we go from there?

Mushroom clouds are so pretty, and I love the smell of nuclear fallout in the morning.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes its about land.

The Arabs feel that the Israelis took their land

The Jews believe its theirs as promised in the Bible (sorry about breaking the no religion rule).

However history tells us that land belongs to those who are strong enough to take it and strong enough to hold onto it.

Land has been changing hands since the beginning of human history the political map of the world (boundaries) nowadays, looks nothing like what I remember from my school days.

Africa and Europe have changed a lot in the last 30 yrs.

Empires come and Empires go - USSR?

michaelw

Putin - his bosses won't let him start a nuclear war too bad for business.

Unfortunately I wouldn't say the same for Iran or North Korea

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

We must all hope the MAD principle will still deter. It seems unlikely that any 'small' player would instigate a nuclear exchange when their own lands would be the first to be razed to the ground by the 'big boys'.

A terrorist nuclear device in a suitcase is a much bigger threat, however.

Trouble now is there are not just the two old combatants (US/USSR) - so keeping a lid on things becomes that much harder than in the old days.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spider9 - "A terrorist nuclear device in a suitcase is a much bigger threat, however." There is some doubt that such devices exist and if they do then probably only USA, Russia or China would be able to create one. A nuclear bomb is a difficult device to construct. A greater threat could be a dirty bomb.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good