We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

More haste less speed, or when not to buck the system

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Earlier in this week my computer started playing up in that it would constantly boot up several times and various POST beeps would come from it. It would finally get to the desktop but was definitely not stable.

After searching for sometime for the problem, I eventually removed all my six ram modules and replaced them in various sequences that my motherboard allowed. I finally found one of the modules was faulty; these had been upgraded last year to faster Crucial DDR3 Ballistix.

I phoned Crucial for a RMA number which they gave but at the same time was told that my memory had been superceded and that I would have to return all six. So I packaged them up carefully and and put the address label on it together with the RMA number written twice in prominent positions.

It was then that I realised by sending it freepost, as per the label, would mean my computer would be down for around a week waiting for the new memory, so I told my wife to send it express delivery - PO next day delivery before 9am - which she did. This cost me £18.80 but would be worth it to expedite things to get my computer up and running again.

I rang Crucial in the afternoon to find out if the memory had arrived safely, only to be told that it hadn't, and was told to get on to the PO tracking website. Of course this meant I had to get some memory locally which I did - another £30! When I got to the tracking site and gave my details I could see that my package had been delivered in good time.

When notifying Crucial of this they still said it hadn't arrived. As you may imagine I was getting somewhat concerned about the situation but eventually, late Friday evening, I received an email from them confirming receipt at the RMA Labs. What a relief that was!

Thinking things over, I realised that I had bucked the system by paying for express delivery and, by not allowing the freepost system to operate, the parcel had been delivered and signed for probably by someone at Crucial's main office in Glasgow. It then took two days for it to be passed to the RMA Labs, even though the RMA number was written large twice on the package!

Certainly a hard lesson learned by me and its 'ramifications' will haunt me for some time! :) Anyone else here been guilty of bucking the trend, as it were? TC.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I wanted to close a Dutch bank account. I paid about £6.00 for an overseas "signed for" postage. I kept phoning but in the end the letter was returned to me. I discovered via tracking that the Dutch "postie" had gone to the bank before they opened and left a "collect at the post office" note. The bank did not collect it so the letter was eventually returned to sender. In the end a normal airmail was safer than the signed for one.!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

also they would need time to test the ram before sending any new

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'got to New York a couple of hours later than we would have if the pilot hadn't tried to beat the system'

Sorry, don't see how the pilot tried to beat the system. He did what every pilot is required to do which is have sufficient fuel for a 30min hold at destination, an approach, go-around and flight to diversion, an approach there with fuel to spare. Those were the military rules when I flew - I'm sure civvy ones are similar.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ran to catch a "fast train" rather than stroll for the slower one that left half hour later. Got it by the kin of my tetth sat there panting on the train for the next twenty minutes thinking this will save me an hour at the other end :0)

Stop outside Market Harborough for points failure - watched the next train pass on the slow line - watched the next three trains pass on the slow line.

Crawled up to Leicester where the train was then told this train would terminate - waited for next train to Nottingham.

Just outside Nottingham train stopped, waiting for platform space at station, fair enough everything was running late - waited some more then told waiting Fitters attention.

Finally got off at Nottingham after nine hours, of what should have been a one hour fifty minute journey.

I no longer run for trains. :0)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps not bucking the system, but many years ago I purchased a warranty on an electrical appliance that offered the full purchase price back, if you did not request assistance within the three year warranty period. Stipulation was that you had to claim the refund within a set limited time frame at the end of the three years, otherwise the claim was void.

Sent the claims form to the address given via next day Royal Mail signed for, with tracking number provided. Checked the tracking, and no information was showing. Tried Royal Mail, and they could not find the reference to the item, so contacting the then watchdog PostWatch. Apparently, the claims form had been diverted to another address because the claims company had moved, and Royal Mail could not tell me this due to Data Protection, or at least that is what they insisted. I did receive the claims refund money from the warranty company in the end!.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat. That always seemed to happen to me years ago when I was going on leave. I got to hate train journeys, which is why I like driving everywhere by car even now sixty years later.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Cars are not immune.

Remember years ago turning left to avoid a long roadworks delay in Central Wales.

Drove round a mountain for 35 minutes, eventually rejoining the main road 200 yards before the junction I turned left at!

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

forum member I very much doubt whether a Commercial Fight Captain can upload more fuel for a particular flight. I suspect that Flight Operations make that decision, carrying unnecessary fuel costs money.

Service Captains, in my old time experience, made their own minds up about fuel requirements. One of my favourite Pilots always asked for " fuel half way up the bloomin' windows" when planning for a leg where fuel was often tight.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

fourm member If that is what the Captain said I, for one, would have believed him.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more