We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Jailed Tory peers back in Lords claiming expenses.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Story.

Can anyone explain why this is so? I am pretty positive that most of us who had done jail time for expenses fraud would not be welcome back to place we had defrauded.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Isn't he just re-integrating himself back into normal society?

Normal for him anyway...

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I agree with Quickbeam , once you have served your time , you are no longer a criminal .

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

But is doing a quarter of your sentence classed as 'doing your time'?

Call me old fashioned, but I think the sentence you get given is the sentence you should do. None of this 'time off for good behaviour' lark. Instead, good behaviour should mean that no extra time is added on to your sentence.

No doubt someone will come along to contradict me.

WTM

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

But as Chronus has said, if it were you or me we wouldn't get over the threshold of the place where we had been fiddling (stealing is more the correct expression). These people should be barred from public office altogether. They are convicted criminals. The amounts of money involved may mean little to their class of yob, but to the ordinary man or woman in the street it is a lot of money. Their continued behaviour disgusts me for one. After all these people should be setting an example to the rest of us.

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

But is doing a quarter of your sentence classed as 'doing your time'?

Yes. When your sentence is 12 months or under. Everyone will serve on half of the sentence, 6 months. The if they are no risk they may be eligible for 3 months of electronic tagging which places a carefew on them. This is usually coupled with a spell of probabtion.

If the law or rules allow convicted peers to stay in there jobs, that is fine. They have done their time and if they pay back to the proceeds of crime the ammount required. Their slate must be wiped clean.

If it is morral for them to go back and you disagree with it. Then you should write to your MP asking them to ask a question about changing the rules.

I personally think both tears of the house contain many dishonest people that they will never change the rules.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Algerian peter. We can just continue to cry over it?

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

My mistake

"I personally think both tiers of the house"

Now you can laugh :-)

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think I will carry on crying about it, it's not really a laughing matter is it?

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

The old school tie at work?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I am looking forward to Monday night's Dispatches on channel 4,examining whether or not parliamentarians are still abusing the expenses system.

Hands up all here that believe that our MPs have learnt the error of their ways and now are all whiter than white.

Me, I shall be shooting flying pigs. LOL.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room