We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How ridiuclous can you get

Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Evidently they are considering passing a law to ban teenagers carrying passengers who are not part of their family. How many thousands are still driving around texting and talking on their mobile this would be yet another unenforcable law

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Of course this wouldn't happen, as there is noway the government would want to reduce the "cash cow" that is the modern motorist.

WTM

That's one bet I won't take :0)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Do you mean anyone should be able to get in and drive a car without any indication that they have not passed a proficiency test?"

No I did not mean that, and you know I didn't.

No it is not against the law to display L plates if you are a qualified driver (though it is in some countries on the mainland, even for driving school vehicles between pupils. I am, or was, an authorised instructor in one such country and I would have quickly lost my "ticket" if I had driven on L plates), but it does detract from the whole purpose of the plates, to warn other drivers that the person driving is not fully competent and may do something unexpected.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

fourm member. What do you class as a "Town car"? I own a small VW car and in my opinion, it is as fast and as powerful as any car whether in town or on the motorway. But I think some people would probably class it as a town car or a runaround.

I think they are on the right track by not allowing newly qualified drivers to carry passengers until they get some time under their (seat) belts.

The big whack of insurance premiums doesn't affect their standard of driving, but some sort of speed limiting device and an empty car might concentrate their minds. The age factor may make a difference but only when they have been qualified for a couple of years as well.

In my opinion, a 20 year old passing the test will not be a lot different to an 18 year old, when they venture out on the road without an accompanying driver for the first time.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

fourm member

It needed pointing out that fronting was actually illegal, but I see your point and agree with it.

Bingalau's point about town cars is a valid one also. I think the way round it may be to have a stated power to weight ration on the registration document. (it actually took some effort to not say log book) Much as we have the emissions catagory now. But for the first year or three possibly 35ish hp/tonne might be a ballpark figure.

WTM

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Tangalooma_2006's post at 8:30PM "I think you are mistaking me for someone else" refers to fourm member's post on Page 3 at 3:58PM

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'd be inclined to think first of a catagory B1 vehicle. I used to have one, and have mentioned in a couple of threads, the most recent one being the many more car assists one where I discussed various auto transmissions.

Anyhow, the car was a microcar virgo, with a 2 cylinder 500cc engine. However, in the country of origin (france) they also come with a 350cc single cylinder engine for the kids to drive.

(I know I'm digressing, but it was a lovely litle car to drive. remote locking, passible stereo, electric windows, alloys, 4 seats, all in a car smaller than a smart car)

Virgo

WTM

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I believe that this restriction would be worth a try, it could be trialled. Something has to be done to lower the present rate of accidents involving young drivers.

I believe that bad driving in young people is a mix of inexperience but mostly bravado and showing off in this case to passenger mates.

The other aspect, and something we cannot change is that many young people believe that they can do anything and just don't see the dangers.

Perhaps WTM's restriction on power might be practical but it also could be dangerous creating an inability to accelerate in an emergency.

The point made earlier about young people and not being able to control, the problem is that these parents are not getting any respect from their children because they haven't earned it. They suddenly wake up one day to they find that there children are on drugs or in trouble and then start to try to control them by discipline. Sorry but you are ten years to late. Young people should grow up to know what is right and what is wrong and they should no the rules of the home and what is expected of them without having to be told.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

sic no (know)

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

You are far more likly to get into trouble with too much power than not get out of trouble with too little.

The 'accelerating out of trouble' argument is an old one, and frankly it's a red herring. It takes an experienced judgement to not only recognise such a situation unprompted, and take advantage of the opportunity.

Granted, by chance a younger driver might just do the correct thing (accelerate) in a relevant scenario, but chance isnt really a good enough reason to continue with the present situation.

WTM

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd " No I did not mean that, and you know I didn't."

Apologies for not understanding, but what on earth were you meaning when you said

*" "It's about as stupid as the law which says learner drivers must display L plates and be supervised"*

"As stupid as.." clearly indicates you feel the law on L plates is stupid, and so you disagree with it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?