We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How ridiuclous can you get

Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Evidently they are considering passing a law to ban teenagers carrying passengers who are not part of their family. How many thousands are still driving around texting and talking on their mobile this would be yet another unenforcable law

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Carver

as a parent you can not chastise any child in case you get done for child abuse.

No one should have to chastise any child, when it comes to that you have already lost or never had the respect. A child learns right from wrong as part of family life it isn't something taught. Part of understanding is knowing what is expected of them by their parents and respecting them.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

No one should have to chastise any child, Sorry to say we do not live in that kind of perfect world, it's not like programming a computer. they we are all individuals. As FE said it all starts at home by setting good examples as most children learn without having to be told everything, You may think you learn them to walk but that's a no no , that comes with the development of balance coordination etc Talking comes by the use of they ears and brain in learning words and phrases

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Woodchip

I am not sure of the point that you are trying to make, you seem to be disagreeing with my thoughts, but then go on to appear to agree in the same post.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

Peer pressure is certainly a factor, but if the majority of children were provided with a decent set of values by their parents the peer pressure would tend to reinforce those values.

Peer groups will usually consist of people with similar views from similar backgrounds. It's the principle of sameness which bonds peer groups. There will,of course,be people who step outside the moral framework that was provided by their parents and 'go off the rails', but that has always been the case. There will also be people who improve upon the parental values they received as a child, and they'll pass those improvements on to their own children.

It all has to start somewhere,and for all children it starts at home, not in the corridors of power.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have not really looked into the article that the originator of this thread opened for discussion, but seeing the title and possible banning makes me more convinced that this is another one of those events that has been given very little thought, especially were enforcement is concerned or required.

'namtas' as also made the remark about " A child learns right from wrong as part of family life it isn't something taught". But what happens when that family life or circle is unstable, and that child sees no difference between right and wrong?.

As a child I was chastised many times for doing wrong, and it sure didn't do me any harm. In fact I gained respect of my elders and other people for showing me the difference in making a true and honest society and possibly making a good member of that society.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Besides the parents teaching their children the correct way to behave, there should be reinforcement from other groups of people such as teachers in schools and in other groups such as the Scouts etc. Discipline in some form is necessary of course but nowadays teachers are unable to provide it. Parents are unable to provide it. Sending a child to their room is not the answer. How do you get respect from youngsters these days when they see how easy it is to get away with offending others without being disciplined. Setting a good example is not enough in my opinion, but it seems that is what the powers that be think is the answer.

Of course when they grow older and begin to drive cars they either behave correctly in the vehicle, or they get punished the hard way. Death! Too late to teach any form of discipline then isn't it?

Spare the rod and spoil the child sounds like a good old proverb to me. There I go putting the cat among the pigeons again.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

...or they get punished the hard way. Death! Too late to teach any form of discipline then isn't it?

Unfortunately, often involving other, innocent, drivers/pedestrians.

I'm wholeheartedly with you on the 'spare the rod theme' but that might be a generation thing (didn't do us any harm) and as you say, a whole other debate.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The old justification that sparing the rod and spoiling the child not 'didn't do us any harm' crops up whenever the subject of child discipline is discussed, but of course it's nonsense to generalise.

Physical punishment did (and does) a lot of children a great deal of harm. There are plenty of people who beat their children because 'it happened to me, and it didn't do me any harm' without realising that they are themselves as sadistic as their parents were. It harmed them by damaging their characters for life, but they blithely go on, perpetuating the myth that a clip around the ear is good for children. It's not, and never has been - parental violence instils fear into children. Parents who hit their children mistake fear for respect, and the children who learn that parents hit their offspring for every little transgression turn into deceivers; they lie their way out of trouble, and may continue to do it into adulthood.

Every time I hear an adult saying that it's OK to hit a child I know I've heard a bully. It's possible to bring up children to be good, honest, law abiding adults without hitting them.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Point well made FE

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

FE. I would like to point out that my bad tempered father often hit me and my brothers with his belt. But I have never hit my three children. Many a time I wanted to but didn't.

By the way I blame his bad temper on the effects of his experiences during the first World War. I only came to realise this when I had grown up myself and looked back wondering why he was like that.
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...