We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How ridiuclous can you get

Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Evidently they are considering passing a law to ban teenagers carrying passengers who are not part of their family. How many thousands are still driving around texting and talking on their mobile this would be yet another unenforcable law

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Twits

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

It's a good idea, something has to be tried to reduce the amount of fatalities among young drivers.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member "..but I was once a teenager"

That is so hard to believe, reading your post!! Teenage years are meant to be rebellious, surely?

"..but are completely incapable of governing the behaviour of your offspring?"

You could address that question to countless parents (including HRH our future king).

I think 'Get real' might be the expression you need, but from your child-free ivory tower you probably have never come across it.

Having said that, I agree with your view that a law can be beneficial, even if hard to enforce.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"how impossible it is control a teenager especially once they get to be an adult at 18."

I didn't find it impossible, either before or after he was 18.

Properly reasoned guidance and discussion should be sufficient, if you have done enough in the early years.

My son, now nearly fifty has never driven any of my cars, except one five mile trip, with me, just after he passed his test, si that he could experience the difference of driving an automatic.

Mind you, he's over revved the guts out of some of my motor bikes!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Grown-up Top Gear presenters Clarkson, Hammond & May amazingly always turn into adolescants when they sit behind the driving-wheel of anything [road vehicle] that moves a sidgeon faster than a dinky toy.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

There seems to be a sweeping assumption that all youngsters have responsible parents or that they even know who their parents are.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

"Are you saying that you are a parent but are completely incapable of governing the behaviour of your offspring?"

fourm member you are not a parent and never have been so you do not have the first idea about how to "govern" the behaviour of children.

Thinking about it neither do I, I can ask plead or beg and once they are out of site they will do what they want, you may not realise this but teenagers are a different species to any body that is over the age of 25.

But getting back to driving and trying to impose a ban on giving lifts, the police would have to stop any car with more than 1 person in it if the driver looks less than 30, or 40, or 60 just in case they had only just passed their test, another idea that is not only stupid but a waste of money.

It's the same when people say that drivers who text while driving are stupid, sorry they are already stupid and all they are doing is proving it.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

A little bit here enter link description here about why teenager brains are different to an adults.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

If we didn't have those rebellious teenage years which some parents could't control the only music playing on the radio woild be mozart and bach Elvis would have been a roadsweeper mind you there wouldn't have been garage insert B and rap preceed with c music

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

fourm member the argument does not carry any merit, it matters nothing that you try to ban inexperienced drivers from carrying passengers, all it will do is make the 6 months to 1 year of driving more dangerous.

You learn to drive the moment you pass your test and passing an unenforceable law is worse than not having it, if you drive with out a seat belt or use a mobile while driving they are both visible from the outside.

Some drivers are just stupid no matter how old they are when they pass their test so at what age would this law start from and at what age would it expire.

As I said the police would have to stop every driver who had a passenger no matter what age.

And as far as my son's or daughter are concerned I would be mortified if they had an accident caused by some one else but this is life and you can not stop accidents, they happen every day of the year.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...