We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Innocent until proven guilty

Phil Ocifer
Resolved

Likes # 0

As I said to a mate last night, when I was young I was taught that if you were innocent you had nothing to worry about.

I was also taught that " . . . sticks and stones may break my bones . . . " etc and it didn't really matter what people said about me, because I knew the truth.

imho, someone is causing a great deal of fuss about protesting their innocence, and taking things a bit far wrt imminent prosecutions.

Luckily, I'm OK though - the few people who knew anything about my past criminal activities have since died, therefore I know nobody will be approaching me with accusations from my past.

Any comments, please be succinct, write them on the back of a used £50 note and send them to the usual address :) Thx. Phil

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

imho, someone is causing a great deal of fuss about protesting their innocence, and taking things a bit far wrt imminent prosecutions.

So if someone wrongly accused you of a truly evil and monstrous crime in a highly public manner to a very wide audience indeed would you just mutter 'not me, I'm innocent' into your breakfast cornflakes and leave it at that?

I'll tell you what, if someone were to do the same to me as they did to lord macalpine, I for one wouldn't stop at a pound of flesh!

WTM

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"I for one wouldn't stop at a pound of flesh!"

As is the case with your telephone call recording thread!

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Sorry, I didn't point the finger at anyone in particular so don't sue me thanks.

Well it appears to be fairly obvious that there may have been a case of mistaken identity which is in the news at the moment.

Yes, when I was arrested (more likely "taken in") for a crime I didn't commit, all I did was protest my innocence and they eventually let me go home - no hard feelings; the police made a mistake. I certainly didn't make it my business to sue for wrongful arrest, loss of earnings, defamation of character etc.

WTM you give the impression of being a very vindictive person. Didn't you stand for office some time ago? Do you have problems with road rage? I don't think I'd like to meet you.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

WTM you give the impression of being a very vindictive person. Didn't you stand for office some time ago? Do you have problems with road rage? I don't think I'd like to meet you.

This is precisely how things get started. Questions have been asked. The insinuation is there that I have problems with road rage. It's been posed as a question, but I can guarantee someone will take it as fact.

Dont defend yourself and the whisperers and lurkers will believe (and pass on that there must be something to it. Defend yourself, and others will comment about protesting too loud.

Hobsons choice.

WTM

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Phil Ocifer

I'm afraid your wrong! There can be few crimes that one can be accused of that are more heinous in nature than child abuse. For a public figure to be accused is doubly damaging, particularly when that figure is completely innocent.

Do you not think that the level of damages that the BBC have agreed to pay out to this person, not show just how serious the damage to his reputation this wholly false accusation has been?

You say: I certainly didn't make it my business to sue for wrongful arrest, loss of earnings, defamation of character etc.

With respect, that is because like me you are a nobody! Not a well known public figure whose reputation once lost in this way is very difficult to restore, for the reasons fourm member points out to you in his post of 09.38.

As has been shown, people who casually libel others using what they think is the anonymity of the internet are in for a very rude awakening, I would reflect on this fact if I were you!

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

These accusations,like being called a 'snitch',are apt to have someone killed and i do believe that an innocent man has died as a result of such a few years ago.The BBC are being halfhearted in their 'fiscal apology' although money is no replacement for a lost reputation.

flak999's final paragraph (10.01) says it all,i hope the police investigate fully these peoples vicious comments which have placed McAlpine in potential danger.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Like fm I had no idea what this thread was all about, until I read further.

Now I know I can't believe that anyone would seriously write such tosh - people, (and it was people, not just the BBC) can accuse you of murder, rape, paedophilia, and anything else, but you mustn't protest or people will think it's true.

What utter rubbish.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Eighteen years of undetected crime. Worth £5 on retirement.

Is there anyone here who has not broken one law or another? I have and paid for it.

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Eighteen years of undetected crime. "

And bar, 33 years years in my case, but it wasn't all undetected, as I had three spells in the cooler!

Worth the fiver, but not a lot else!

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Like most people, I'm not a pure innocent either.

But thats no reason to sit quietly and mildly accept wrongful accusations of an especially vile nature.

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...