We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's PCC election day today!

WhiteTruckMan
Resolved

Likes # 0

Wow! (yawn). Certainly one of the most low key elections that I can recall in this country. The media dont seem to be giving it much attention. I can't help but wonder if that is cause or effect.

And I still dont knbow if I'm even going to vote, let alone who for!

WTM

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I will vote for the independent candidate although I doubt he'll be elected!

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

There has been very little information round here too, other than a couple of 2 minute radio/TV interviews with each of the four candidates. I have voted, because I think it is wrong not to and also gives me a better right to moan should I not agree with things. I have chosen the independent candidate who also happens to be a time served (30 years) ex-police officer, at least he should have an idea what is required even if he is not able to implement it due to financial and political constraints. According to the polling station staff very few people have turned out.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

My local paper did a poll of 143 people.

25% said they intended to vote

3% said they knew who the candidates were.

One polling station reported that just 20 people had voted up till 2.30pm

The turnout is predicted to be about 12% over the region

Hardly representative

Its got to be the biggest Non Event of the year.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 1

At least this is one of the rare elections where my vote may count.

I live in a ward where the overwhelming majority normally vote for one party at election time regardless of how they've performed in the past or what they promise.

I suspect this election would be no different and be decided on party lines if the electorate could be bothered to vote, which they can't.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

According to some media reports, they were expecting less than 18% turnout, but no doubt this will be confirmed as true or not after the votes are counted. My own local voting station at 1.30pm had done very little business doing the morning, perhaps things will pick up before 10.00pm when the polling station closes?.

One thing I find interesting is the way the message is being pushed of how the elected PCC will be accountable to the public. The way I understand is that a 'new' Police and Crime Panel will have the final say on any changes or decisions being made. This panel will consist of representatives from local authorities within the PCC area. The public will have no say, as to who these representatives will be, so looking at the previous Police Authority panel, there is likely to very little change, especially were local politics might become involved?.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Well the polls are now closed, all thats left is the count.

I've got this strange feeling that wont take very long at all.

WTM

And yes, I did decide to cast a ballot.

Like this post  
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Only twenty voters at 1100 this morning. I fear that the very low vote will slant the result with unknown consequences.

Live and learn as my Granny used to say - but will they?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad