We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's PCC election day today!

WhiteTruckMan
Resolved

Likes # 0

Wow! (yawn). Certainly one of the most low key elections that I can recall in this country. The media dont seem to be giving it much attention. I can't help but wonder if that is cause or effect.

And I still dont knbow if I'm even going to vote, let alone who for!

WTM

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Given the amount of effort made by candidates in this area to advertise themselves - a single flyer for only one - it would appear they also consider it 'low key'. Hardly surprising the media are giving it as much attention as I shall!!

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

In the past many people struggled to give the common person the right to vote. I am a little concerned about the election of Police Commissioners but, when we hear about mis-doing in the higher echelon of Police Management, I think that a change could be beneficial.

For this reason I am going to vote even though the information about our candidates is hard to find.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

I'll vote because it is my right to do so. But I do agree that it has been very low key especially in this area.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Total lack of candidate information in my area. I intend to go along and spoil my vote with a comment to express my disappointment in the lack of enthusiasm shown by any of them.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

canarieslover

I have to say that spoiling your vote is really a pointless exercise. In my own experience I (along with all the other candidates) was given the opportunity to examine spoiled votes. And a pretty sad looking pile they were too, mainly consisting of semi literate obscenities by people who perhaps thought they were being funny. No official notice is taken, save the number of ballots spoiled. Then they are stored away with the rest of the valid papers until the can be disposed of.

And thats it, really.

WTM

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

In the absence of any literature through the letterbox, I've downloaded and printed all the candidates election statements.

The problem is that they all make similar glib statements without any detail as to how this will be accomplished.

Cut red tape

More front line officers

Zero tolerance to knife and gun crime

Get police and local communities working together

Protect people from domestic violence and rape

At least one acknowledges that around 2000 staff need to be cut to meet the budget requirements, yet another proposes recruiting 850 special constables, while another wishes to keep the bobby on the beat, but opposes any privatisation of backroom services.

I am puzzled by the fact that the present police committee comprises 17 individuals, to be replaced by the police commissioner. There is no mention of him or her having any staff.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I've looked at the online literature, and theres very little difference between the candidates here too. If I do vote it will be for the ukip candidate. Not because I have any strong feeling towards him, more like a natural sympathy for anyone trying to beat the big party lines.

Having said that, the big choice for me is whether to vote or not.

Decisions, decisions.

WTM

(and yes, I do know that there are places where people are dying for the right to vote. While respecting that, I will not be guited into voting)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I'm spotting a theme here

very low information from the candidates.

get the feeling they don't want us to vote, if so who benefits if the turn out is so low. the one with the largest family to vote for them?

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Not so much the largest family as the party faithful. Those are the ones who would vote for a donkey if you stuck the correctly coloured rosette on it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"More front line officers

Zero tolerance to knife and gun crime

Get police and local communities working together

Protect people from domestic violence and rape"

Anyone in Scotland will recognise that as Alex Sakmond;s election manifesto!

I suspect it also appeared in many English ones!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...