We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Top Jockey Joins The Drug Taker?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Has anybody else heard about Frankie Dettori falling from grace?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"The Sun has never worried about having evidence has it?"

Well, it always was a great supporter of Tony Blair wasn't it!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Frankie has other potential lucrative [job] options easily available;

http://www.caption.me/170332

... for a man of his stature.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

"The Sun has never worried about having evidence has it?"

Well, it always was a great supporter of Tony Blair wasn't it!

It was even better at blaming the Liverpool Supporters for the tragedy at Sheffield. I have never been a Liverpool supporter as I am a keen supporter of Everton. But most of us in Liverpool never buy the "Sun" now and never will. Maybe the rest of the country should follow our example and put it out of business.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Back on topic, I suspect performance enhancing drugs can have the same effect as alcohol, increasing confidence and lowering inhibitions.

This could be as dangerous in horse racing as it is in Formula 1.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"It's not as if the horse is going to run any faster if the rider is fitter!"

There speaks a man who has never ridden a thoroughbred horse at full gallop.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

There speaks a man who has never ridden a thoroughbred horse at full gallop.

Very true, and I don't deny it. Neither do I deny the requirement for a high level of physical fitness to race a horse competatively.

What I still fail to understand is what performance of the rider is alledgedly being enhanced to enable the horse to run faster.

If it were a case of drugging the horse, I could see. I can also see that riding a horse is a skill (with probably more than a little art thrown in as well), but I've never heard of a skill enhancing drug.]

WTM

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Whether taking drugs by a jockey enhances or detracts from the outcome of a race or is neutral, it's a fact that isn't known to the punter.

To ensure a level playing field all participants need to abide by the same rules and I suppose the easiest way to achieve that is a ban on substances.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

My youngest daughter rode horses competitively for around fifteen years, and I have ridden horses on and off throughout my life. We have owned three thoroughbreds - all ex racehorses, and I've ridden them at full tilt on training gallops.

You need to be physically fit to get the best out of a fast horse - the horse can tell the difference, and given the opportunity it will tend to take the line of least resistance. On a racecourse that will make a difference to its finishing time. At a full gallop a spirited horse will pull your arms off, and to maintain a line with other horses all around you is no mean feat - I've never done that, but I've spoken to people who have.

The fitter the jockey, the better the horse will perform, within its capabilities of course.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Dettori gets lengthy race ban

He may find it very difficult to get back in the saddle.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Was his recent departure from the stable he raced for a case of jump before a push?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer