We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Top Jockey Joins The Drug Taker?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Has anybody else heard about Frankie Dettori falling from grace?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

No idea how I substituted a question mark for the letter "s".

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Only what I've seen here.

dettori

I suppose until the outcome of the enquiry is known we should be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Just a bit of horseplay and eat his mounts food?

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I don't get it. What kind of performance could be enhanced by drugs that would be beneficial to a jockey? I mean it's not like they do a LeMans style start and have to sprint 50 yards to their mounts, maybe carrying their saddles, then have to single handedly saddle their mounts before setting off.

The only thing that springs to mind is weight loss, and if they can reliably do that with pills they they can make far more money in the slimming industry than they ever could riding horses.

WTM

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

WTM

Horse riding takes quite a bit of physical endurance, it's not easy controlling half a ton of horse. So performance enhancing drugs would be a definite advantage. The rush you get from riding a horse fast, is far better than from driving, or motorcycling, simply because they are a bit unpredictable, or with some horses, very unpredictable......

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Must'be been an illicit slice of Lembas bread...

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

robgf

I don't doubt the endurance side, but surely that merely requires a pretty high level of physical fitness. It's not as if the horse is going to run any faster if the rider is fitter!

WTM

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have not, as yet, heard what drug he is accused of taking.

There are many, such as 'Cold Suppressants' that are banned but unlikely to make any difference to his performance.

Until the nature of the banned substance is revealed, I am holding my judgement.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

The Sun has never worried about having evidence has it?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Top jockeys don't need stimulants to get the best out of a horse ... but this Top Horse might need some 'legal' performance enhancing drugs;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/20326577

...and a good night's kip ... in between [performances].

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers