We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Abu Qatada release: Cameron 'fed up'

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

There does seem to be something quite ridiculous about a situation in which a man who is - to use our Prime Minister's own words "..has no right to be here, we believe he's a threat to our country," and yet cannot be expelled by us.

We literally cannot put this individual on a plane out of here because someone sitting in a court in Strasbourg decided that he would not get a fair trial in Jordan, where he's wanted.

I'm well-known for championing the rule of law, but there are times when I wonder if we haven't lost sight of the ball, and this is one of them. In 21 days our government must either come up with a valid legal reason for an appeal against the ruling or release Abu Qatada back into the community. It's a cast iron guarantee that his lawyers will challenge every inch of the way.

Perhaps we should send the man to Strasbourg, and let them have the problem.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I agree, Strasbourg is where he should be. They should have a holding center there for these type of people. Other European countries could contribute to the upkeep of a huge prison.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Oh yes , don't forget his family must go with him.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

No, send him to back to Jordan and wait for the backlash. After all that is where he belongs, not here. But there again, we will keep him in ways he would like to be kept!! Almost everything paid for by others.

I'd be willing to bet, that once he is back in Jordan, they will not release him back again

TonyV

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Isn't the saying "The law is an ass"? This decision most certainly proves the point.

TonyV

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The Human Rights saga has got way out of hand. Initially it did prevent some appalling actions, but just abused now at huge cost (and risk) to us. Time for a rethink.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

In the piece quoted it says that the Strasbourg court had found that he could be extradited!

"Earlier this year, judges at the European Court in Strasbourg ruled the cleric would not face ill-treatment if returned to Jordan, citing assurances outlined in a UK-Jordan agreement."

It was the judge in the UK at the Special immigration appeals tribunal that ruled he could not be extradited!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Maybe Parliament should pass emergency legislation on this case alone ensuring that Parliament decrees in this case that a special UK law passed by sovereign Parliament cannot be overturned as Parliament is the highest court.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Human rights? The rights of one man as opposed to the rights of 60 million UK inhabitants!! Can't see it myself. The only place this man should be is in Jordan, we should ignore Strasboursg and just send him back. I wonder what the European ramifications would be, if any?

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

It's a cast iron guarantee that his lawyers will challenge every inch of the way.

There is no cause so vile and twisted that some lawyer isn't willing to make a buck off it. Be in no doubt, some lawyers will have done very well indeed out of this miserable specimen of (in)humanity.

The rule of law is one thing. But what we are seeing here is a simple perversion of it.

WTM

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

csqwared

The ramifications would be along the lines of what France got fined when they transgressed recently. They were fined €15,000. Money well spent and an awful lot cheaper than keeping him here and paying Lawyers their exorbitant sums.

TonyV

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'