We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I record a phone conversation?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'm having trouble with a neighboring council (Burnley Borough Council) using baliffs to pursue a council tax debt of somebody with a similar name to me. The other person has an address in burnley, but the council has somehow found my address, stuck the other persons name on it, then passed it on to debt recovery agents i.e. baliffs to pursue. I've contacted the baliffs by phone, and in a recorded conversation which they agreed to, have notified them that this person does not and never has lived here, and that any further letters will be returned with a bill for £25 handling. They informend me that my address was provided by BBC.

Now here's where it gets interesting. I've contacted BBC debt recovery department by phone, and the first thing that you hear is a recorded message that calls my be recorded for monitoring and training purposes. However when I get through to an operator and I inform them that I am recording the call as well, they refuse to discuss anything. So do I have to disclose the fact that I am recording a call, as anything said may be a basis for a formal complaint?

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"....surely the court of public opinion would carry more weight with a commercial organisation than a local council department?"

Not necessarily - local authorities are very PR-aware these days - they have to be in the current climate of everyone contacting the press about almost anything at the drop of a hat.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I had this problem many moons ago, I when to My Solicitors, about it Never had no more Problems after leaving it with them, though it cost me, i saved a lot of headache

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Can I record a phone conversation?

Do any of the smart phones ' out there ' have the capability to record ones incoming / outgoing personal voice communications in the same way text messages are stored for perusal at a later time /date?

The government / big brother will have access to everyone's phone records soon anyway, so why can't we (as individuals) track / record our own phone calls?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Can somebody please explain by what tortuous process of the law a reporter can secretly record someone asking for a bribe in an anonymous hotel room, and broadcast it t6o millions, bur they cannot do the same with a perfectly overt phone call of that person doing the same thing?

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

This may be of help

Protection from Harassment Act 1997

The way I read it the 'Harassment' need only to have happened on two occasions.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

A reporter who secretly films someone asking for a bribe and subsequently publishes it on TV or on the radio does so in the public interest - it may be a public official asking to be bribed, or a foreign politician asking for a bribe from a British company, that kind of thing.

If you record a conversation between yourself and say, someone at a call centre without telling them, you are not acting in the public interest, you're acting in your own interest. In those circumstances you would not subsequently be permitted to enter the recording as evidence in a court. You would be allowed to put a question about the call - "did you say, in the course of a phone conversation, that I was a lying **&$^%?" But that's it.

On the one hand you have a public interest issue, and on the other you don't.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

But who decides what public interest is?

Hypothetically, if I were to record a phone conversation with a council employee where i was told that for a few hundred pounds I could be bumped to the front of the council house queue, I think that would be public interest, yet I couldnt use such a recording.

I thought morddwyds point a good one, but that the relevant part was that his scenario didnt involve use of a public telephone network.

WTM

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

How do the rules apply to recording a conversation using your mobile phones voice recording functions? (i.e. not during a call) I seem to recall occasions where members of the public have had interactions with police officers, during which the officer has either sworn at or racially abused the person in question and subsequently this voice recording has formed the basis of a prosecution or disciplinary action against the officer.

Do the same rules about anonymous recording not apply here?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

fourm member

I was not referring to voicemail, but to the facility most phones have for making a voice recording (much like a dictaphone) separate to an actual phone call. On the Iphone this facility is called voice memo.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

So is it the law or not, and if it is the law is there a different law which relates to something because it is in the public interest and then who decides if it is or is not in the public interest. Confused I am.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'