We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Now Chaffinches...

muddypaws
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is it unusual to see a couple of dozen at once?

Noticed them this morning working their way across the area from right to left.

Another dozen were out of shot to the right.

Found something they fancied.

Quick photo through window here:

Chaffinches

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

From the BBC Nature wildlife web site is states "During winter European chaffinches migrate to Britain" CLICK HERE

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

BRYNIT

Thanks. Perhaps they have just arrived.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Nice picture - you obviously have a very good camera!

Wonder what they find so interesting on the road, ants perhaps between the cracks?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I am getting rather concerned about the missing population of sparrow's in our area. They use to be plentiful, but over the past month or so, very few are about, if at all. We are not having to top-up the feeders like we use to do?.

Feral pigeons are in abundance?.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

spuds

" We are not having to top-up the feeders like we use to do?."

Birds or no birds we still have to!

enter link description here

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

muudypaws

We have them as well, but this year they have left the feeders alone. Last year they made a right mess. Perhaps its because we have a special feeding area laid out for them this year, and they are starting to show respect :o)

Even the foxes and other wildlife that we have visiting seem to observe the unwritten rules more this year!.

Sadly we had a young vixen that had obviously been hit with a motor vehicle, and had obtained sanctuary on my property, and died before we were able to administer anything.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

We too are short of house sparrows, years ago there were flocks around here but now they are rarely seen in our garden.

I am a BTO Garden Watch member and our bird population is fairly sparse at the moment. Winter weather normally brings them in to the feeders - let us hope so.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Nontek. the info regarding the camera is included in the photo

Fujifilm FinePix S1600 Lens: 17.1 mm (Max aperture f/3.1) Exposure: Auto exposure, Program AE, 1/84 sec, f/4.6, ISO 100

Plenty of starling and magpies + our resident pair of blackbirds, but no sparrows in our garden East Coast Lincolnshire. However we are seeing 100s of geese overflying us.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yep, I like Fuji, my last four or five cameras were all Fuji however, I won the Lotto recently and just this week I splashed out on a Nikon Coolpix P510.

Nikon

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014