We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are tablet computers just a fad.

robgf

Likes # 0

I will admit that I don't own a tablet, or use a smart phone. But my girlfriends family love their iPhones and similar and at Saturdays family lunch were discussing tablets. Most of them have bought iPads, or Android tablets, seduced by the adverts (I must admit to fancying one myself). But they all admit without exception that they rarely use them after the first week.

From listening, it seemed to me, that for anything they wanted to do on the move, or quickly, they use their phones. And for serious use, they use a laptop, or PC.

So are Tablets just a fad? I quite like my girlfriends iPad, but it would be much better with a proper keyboard (and if I'm honest a mouse too, I'm not keen on all that finger wiping)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

"So are Tablets just a fad?"

Who knows? Personally I doubt it. I have had an iPad for about 18 months now, and it travels with me, wherever I go. I have a micro SIM from my mobile phone network that provides me with fast internet access more or less anywhere. I like having something that can handle my email faultlessly, allow me to surf the web, store lots of work documents - either as PDF files, or in an iPad format which is compatible with Microsoft Office.

I have entertainment if I want it, and can catch up programmes on iPlayer. I can read my Kindle books on the iPad Kindle reader, use the iPad as a satnav with Google maps (quite superb - far better than my TomTom), and make use of all kinds of iPad apps, too numerous to mention.

If I want to print something I can do it to my own printer across a wireless network. All of that comes in a device that I can carry around in one hand all day. It's slim, fast, lighter than any laptop, and the display is far superior, too.

What's not to like?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

sunnypete - You connect to a printer by wifi. It works well. You do of course need a printer connected to your router.

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Woolwell, Actually I did realise that was probably the only solution, excuse for buying yet more goodies?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

sunnypete "excuse for buying yet more goodies?" - definitely. Bought a new networked laser recently and the speed and quality compared to the old one is so much better.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

There are a number of people that do a considerable quantity of creative work, while on the move, but I would guess that most laptops are used to provide reference points and information, while away from base.

I feel that, as Tablets have only just come into being, they will develop their capabilities/processing power, quite swiftly and replace the laptop for most, but not all, users.

Their main shortfall, that I see at the moment, is a shortage of storage space, which can easily be sorted by access to the Cloud or a secure NAS Drive.

So, what will the home of the future look like? Could we all be sitting around, each watching different TV Shows, or Movies, on our Tablet. Unlikely, but certainly possible during Travel.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

robgf - I can tell you are either not converted or a little jealous as you don't yet have one!! :)

Well, having just had one bought as a birthday present (partly because her ladyship had run out of ideas and her brother was singing its praises after having just bought one) I must say I'm quite impressed with my Google Nexus 7 (32GB).

I regard it as a bit of a "toy" really - not really useful for anything serious (e.g. spreadsheets) but perfect for the inconsequentialities of life like social networking, pastimes (games, youtube), reading (books and current affairs) and email (and much much more).

A good deal larger than any smartphone, it's still quite a neat size to carry round but will not fit in any pocket conveniently unless one is wearing the suit/hacking/blazer jacket.

I don't think it will be just a fad for me. I'm usually glued to the smartphone for SN and online games, so I guess this is going to take its place as the screen is larger. I now see the smartphone getting a rest and being used only where it's not convenient to take the tablet e.g. nights out.

I don't want to turn this into a review, but the lack of a rear facing camera and 3/4G will send people towards other products, however that's not an issue for me, just an observation.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

wee eddie

Could we all be sitting around, each watching different TV Shows, or Movies, on our Tablet. Unlikely, but certainly possible during Travel.

Driving Family's Even further apart

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

Phil Ocifer

I'm definitely not converted to the iPad yet. I enjoyed using it, but mainly just playing around with it. I don't do Facebook and the ilk, and although I do transfer photos to the computer, I usually just edit them and print out the ones I like.

To be honest, if I could be persuaded to waste some more money on computers, I would rather have a new desktop computer, as mine is a bit long in the tooth. But then, I don't use a computer when I travel and I use a camera for photos.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I got a Galaxy tab and had to stop myself from buying all the extras that would have effectively turned it into a netbook..... (a very expensive netbook) I'm beginning to think for me it's just a fad at moment.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I think fad is too strong a word, but I also think there are serious issues in such monolithic devices that cannot easily be repaired. A keyboard and mouse are consumable items, for instance.

Also the mirror side of the convenience of having all your devices easily to hand in one package is the vulnerability of all of them to a single incident, be it accidental or malicious. And the risks increase when even more uses are packed into them. Suppose in the future they get used as driving licenses, passports, credit cards (oh, wait...), national insurance documents, central heating controllers, personal heart pacemakers cum defibrillator, car and house keys, the list goes on and on. All perhaps feasable in the next 30 years though, in my opinion. And all it takes is leaving it on the bus...

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more