We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is the bbc Director-Genaral doing the right thing

Algerian peter

Likes # 0

by resigning?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I hope they are not going to use a presenter as a replacement. They might get somebody implicated in the Jimmy Saville affair.

I am still awaiting the naming and shaming of more of them. Maybe the police are being a bit more wary of putting their feet in their mouths by jumping the gun.

It also surprises me that Aitchbee hasn't put his bookmaker's hat on, to take odds on who they might be.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bing.alau ... I'm not gonna quote any odds on who is going to be the next DG of the BBC but I could probably run it better than anybody else ... and could make instant savings [Eastenders and Bargain Hunt] would be the first to go.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

But no doubt the horse racing would stay?

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I read that the out-going DG is determined to keep his ill-gotten gains but, on the other hand, the BBC is now on the road to recovery because the Acting DG has found his tie.

There are many BBC TV programmes that I would ban but, in the main, I do like Radio Four and,occasionally, Radio Five.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"because the Acting DG has found his tie."

Now if the PM could just find his, all would well, or at least better, in my world!

(As you can imagine, I am very content, with not a lot to worry about!)

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

fourm member

Stiff Shirt need studs not buttons. As I remember difficult to do up when sober and nearly impossible to detach when a lot, or even a little, under the influence. Wing collars - do not even mention the damn things.

Thank goodness common sense prevailed and more comfortable gear was allowed.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

flycatcher1 - Must still have the studs somewhere. Screwed together through highly starched shirts. Wing collars were ok, it was the ice cream suits that buttoned right up with hooks at the neck that were a problem.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Woolwell - No ice cream suits for the Brycreme Boys - far too stuffy. I remember my Father cursing his puttees but they were before my time - fortunately.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

" No ice cream suits for the Brycreme Boys"

Obviously before your time too, but I can assure you that I had a battledress blouse that did up at the neck with hooks and eyes!

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

morddwyd So did I - in tne ATC. In man service we had the open neck type though I was issued with one of the old type in 1950. Never used the hooks and eyes because we had collars and ties.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014