We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is the bbc Director-Genaral doing the right thing

Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

by resigning?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is right for him to go but other need to go to. The next ones down in the chain should have realised what was happening and immediately have gone to Entwhistle and told him we have a problem. Doesn't he have a morning briefing/meeting with his PA shoving important documents under his nose?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just to clear a point up, when I posted this morning I did not know that the new appointment was temporary (and I accused y=the BBC of indecent haste!)

On the new appointment, they could do a lot worse than go back to Greg Dyke.

He's done his time in the sin bin and if nothing else it would do a hell of a lot for BBC morale.

I always thought he was a bit hard done by.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

wee eddie

Newsnight is 100% a BBC production

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Alan14: on the initial reports, of this affair, Radio 4 gave the name of the Company that provided the Journalistic Input.

While Production may have been "in-house", source material was certainly not.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

After just 54 days in the job and making a right doo-dah of it, he gets a £450.000 pay-off from your license fees........ yes, I bet in his eyes he has done the right thing.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

It was surprising to see the new man, Tom Daley, carrying a takeaway coffee into the BBC.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Graham*

Maybe on his lowly salary of £10s of £1,000's he can't afford BBC coffee.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I know that this is pure speculation but:

I think that someone said:

"Look we've screwed up here. Can you take the rap? We'll give you a year's salary if you do."

And he said "OK"

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Not too far off apparently.

According to the BBC he was told to resign or be sacked.

If he resigned he would only legally be entitled to six months salary.

If he was sacked he was entitled to twelve months.

It seems he agreed to resign, if he got the twelve months.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I believe senior executives at multi national companies often have 2 - 4 weeks per year of service written in to their contracts in the event of redundancy, He had served , I believe,23 years so his payment is not out of line with his "peer group" (Although the BBC is not a multi national.)As has been said it may have been more costly to make him redundant, and he could certainly not have been summarily dismissed on grounds of gross misconduct.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do