We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is the bbc Director-Genaral doing the right thing

Algerian peter

Likes # 0

by resigning?

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm not going to sign up just to read the article but could you give us a summary?

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

You do not have to sign up. Just use the close button on the pop up.

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

Sorry you are right. I was logged in.

try this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20284124

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Now that he has, then yes, I do think it is the right decision for him and the BBC. The BBC needs a strong Director General, not someone prepared to resign at the first hurdle.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Sorry, I'd already commented on this in the licence fee thread -

"The basic trouble at the BBC is illustrated by the appointment of a detergent marketing man as the new DG.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20285096

He might be competent, but they are not known for accuracy!

They might have done better to appoint a broadcaster, or at least a half competent journalist.

They might also have taken a bit longer to look around."

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

They might have done better to appoint a broadcaster, or at least a half competent journalist

It's not the half competent part I have a problem with, it's the other half!

WTM

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

"The basic trouble at the BBC is illustrated by the appointment of a detergent marketing man as the new DG."

Hopefully, then, he'll make a clean sweep.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

michaelw

Too late for that.

I'm with rdave13, anyone who jumps at the first sign of trouble is not the right person to steer a corporation, especially one that faces as tough an immediate future as the Beeb

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Tim Davie's last big 'sensible' decision as Head of BBC Radio, was to ditch Radio4's ' Broadcasting House ' ... a topical news programme and to air the ' Archers Omnibus ' a bit earlier, instead. [This re-jig was to cover the Ceremony of Remembrance from the Cenotaph]

This [his decision] indicates to me, a man with a 'safe pair of hands' although I would have preferred BH on instead ;0]

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks