We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

General David Petraeus quits as head of CIA

Flak999

Likes # 0

Another impeccable reputation destroyed! CIA director David Petraeus has resigned from his post, admitting he had an extra-marital affair.

What is it that drives men with so much to live up to and conversely so much to lose, to risk it all because of a younger, good looking woman?

The Generals wife!

The Generals mistress!!

Are men all so shallow that they will risk everything for the younger model?

Discuss!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Is the urge in men to have sex so overwhelming, that all men given the opportunity would take the risk and be unfaithful if presented with the chance to have sex with a beautiful younger woman, regardless of what the probable consequences may be?"

No.

I have been married for fifty years, and in forty years in the forces I spent a lot of time away from home, and while I am no oil painting there were plenty of opportunities, some of them with very little effort on my part. Any serviceman will tell you the same.

The only time I was tempted was by a blonde with a Bonneville! My wife freely admits that she did take a fancy to a young bloke with a Harley!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

fourm member that made me laugh. "Honour intact" indeed. Sounds like boasting.

morddwyd , you sound like the lucky many who's truly fallen in "love", whatever that means. I was married for 12 years and partner went off with another regardless of what the children needed or wanted. I went through a bit of hell but dusted myself down, eventually, and now living with a partner, we've three children, for the past 17 years.

Reminds me to ask her to marry me... maybe next year.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

There is no doubt that sex is an extremely powerful driving force, more so for men who are programmed to spread their seed as wide as possible.

Successful men in a career context are also probably more highly sexed. They have money, charisma and power which attracts many women and they have opportunity.

What they often lack is time. Time to devote to their partners and family and consequently their marriage is put under strain. Little wonder then that extra marital affairs probably occur more frequently in this social group.

Of course these affairs are reported because of their high profile nature. For all I know, Fred on the factory floor is quite some lothario and manages to keep it under wraps.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Extract from the Guardian:

"The scandal involving former CIA director David Petraeus has deepened following allegations that another top US military commander, General John Allen, had sent thousands of "inappropriate" emails to a woman linked to Petraeus."

It seems these Generals have more time on their hands than I credited them with! I hope they put as much effort into fighting wars.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

It must be nice for the soldiers to know that they are exempt from the same 'theatre of operations' as these generals.The words 'bringing dishonour' should be their final military epitaph.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Both these Generals are at the top of their profession, and in their field wield enormous power and have proved they have a huge intellect. It seems quite amazing that their judgement seems to be so poor - they surely knew they could not keep their philandering secret.If ever there were cases of their brains being somewhere other than between their ears, this must be the classic example.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I haven't read the ins and outs of this business. But I always assume that it is the woman who betrays the man afterwards. Maybe because she is trying to get money for her story etc. Or more likely because she has been slighted. "A woman scorned and all that"..

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"The words 'bringing dishonour' should be their final military epitaph."

A soldier having sex with a woman who is not his wife is "dishonourable"?

What pompous nonsense!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

It never seemed to bother Lord Nelson either.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"What is it that drives men with so much to live up to and conversely so much to lose, to risk it all because of a younger, good looking woman?"

Millions of years of evolution, that's what.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback