We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

General David Petraeus quits as head of CIA

Flak999

Likes # 0

Another impeccable reputation destroyed! CIA director David Petraeus has resigned from his post, admitting he had an extra-marital affair.

What is it that drives men with so much to live up to and conversely so much to lose, to risk it all because of a younger, good looking woman?

The Generals wife!

The Generals mistress!!

Are men all so shallow that they will risk everything for the younger model?

Discuss!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It certainly looks that nature, being what it is, will certainly over rule the head. Possibly why there's so much of us on this planet.

Such is life.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

I think the real question here is why a man in such a sensitive position embarks upon an affair knowing that his dishonesty jeopardises the organisation and its workforce.

If he had shown the same 'guts' in stating to his wife their marriage was over as he did in the theatre of war this issue may not have arisen and his career would not be shattered.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

So he is in charge of the CIA but the FBI where monitoring Mr Petraeus' email account.

And people say we have nothing to fear enter link description here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

carver - The FBI had been alerted that his mistress may have had access to his emails and possibly classified information. They started a targeted intercept which is different to the link that you have posted.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

Never having being married I may be way off base, but that younger woman is much cuter than his wife, so given any encouragement you can see why he would stray.

I used to see it all the time in the workforce at the factory. A large proportion of married people didn't seem very keen on their partner anymore. And affairs were frequent, usually ending without any trouble. Interestingly, women seem to have more affairs than men. But men are more likely to get caught, as wives notice more.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

"that younger woman is much cuter than his wife, so given any encouragement you can see why he would stray."

There you have it in a nutshell! It would seem that no-matter what a mans position, nor how much he has to lose. The lure of the younger more attractive woman is like a siren call to (most?) men.

Also younger women who would in the ordinary state of affairs not look twice at some of the men that they eventually have sexual relationships with ( John Prescott, Bernie Ecclestone et al) are attracted to these men because of their power or their money, or both.

Is the urge in men to have sex so overwhelming, that all men given the opportunity would take the risk and be unfaithful if presented with the chance to have sex with a beautiful younger woman, regardless of what the probable consequences may be?

Is it as fourm member says just "human nature"

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

His mistress is reportedly the woman who co-wrote his biography and was embedded (an unfortunate word as it turns out) with him in Afghanistan from for a year from Jul 2010 to Jul 2011. Working in close proximity away from home may have more to do with it than looks.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Working in close proximity away from home may have more to do with it than looks.

Do you really believe that?! Look at the pictures again, If the roles were reversed and the reporter had been his wife and his wife the reporter, can you honestly say you think he would have had the affair?

I don't think so!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Flak999 - You may not think so but I do. It may well have started overseas without wife anywhere near. No doubt we will disagree.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I do disagree, but hey maybe that's my weakness for a pretty face showing through! ;-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September