We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 769

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

Don’t take your waders off just yet!

click here

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Many interesting things in Iceland. An Icelandic friend read English at Harvard and when the tutor asked if anyone could understand Beowolf's poems he said he more or less spoke it daily.Also their surnames are derived from a parent's first name, so Magnus' son's name might be Jon Magnusson and his daughter might be Ingrid Magnusdottir. This leads to difficulties in the phone book as so many have the same surname they have to add on their trade or profession. I think their parliament is the oldest continuous one around.The worst thing I tasted was some rotted whale meat - worse than war- tome Snoek. I think they could outdo even morddwyd's Scots friends when it comes to Saturday night drinking!A very interesting place but I think a difficult one for a non Icelander to settle in!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

john bunyan, very interesting, thanks.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Certaimly an interesting climate.

When we landed, I think it was in February, the snow was piled 6 - 8 ft high at the edges of the runway and taxiways.

The next morning the temperature was sixty, the very little snow to be seen and the big piles were only about two feet high, and no sign of any flooding.

AS we had come from Bodo in Norway we were in full Arctic gear! We had some strange looks at breakfast!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers