We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Many more car assists mandatory from 2014, courtesy of the EU

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Talk about the speaking clock and the satnavs! :) Seriously though, I expect some 'assists' will be of help to some drivers. For myself, then I'm afraid I'd be soon looking for the main cut off button in order to retain my sanity. :)

Are we all sitting comfortably? Then here comes the story

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Last time I used a starting handle I think was on an Austin A40 Farina. The last car that I owned that had one was a Renault 4.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

WTM Perhaps he has been watching "Ice Cold In Alex"?

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Possibly. But as I recall they took the spark plugs out first in the movie.

WTM

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Ice Cold In Alex is my favourite afternoon TV matinée film for a wet afternoon.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Kind Hearts and Coronets comes a close second...

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

My Russian Lada has a starting handle. It was purchased new in 1976 for the princely sum of £1285, less £300 part exchange for the Reliant Regal van conversion.

Seeing the type of cars I favour, you will realise why I think you lot are mollycoddled wimps!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You can replicate that type of motoring today by turning the heater off and driving in Snow Queen type fur mitts... or buy a motor bike.

When that was my only form of transport, I would be close to tears from the pain after riding the 8 miles to work on sub-zero mornings. The best way to warm my hands up without suffering more pain was to run the cold water tap over them for a few minutes, and then let it warm up slowly to no more than luke warm until the pain was gone.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Quickbeam. I suffer from Reynaud's Phenomenon and sometimes even in summer if I touch something cold my fingers turn blue. Trying to warm them again when driving then becomes a problem and the only answer I have found is to put them down between my legs one at a time of course. Gloves in winter are o.k. but sometimes nothing helps and thawing out using water brings a sort of chilblains effect. It's one of those nuisance sort of complaints that nobody takes really seriously too. But it can affect driving and I imagine would be even worse on a motor cycle.

My new car has heated seating, I promise not to drive along with my hands under my bum... I would love a modern assist in the form of a heated steering wheel though.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Bing.alau - Would heated driving gloves help? Most are made for bikes but I think that there are others suitable for cars, but a bit expensive.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Woolwell. I've considered that in the past, but it's really not worth it. The fingers gradually come back to normal after a while and it is forgotten. I could take tablets for it, but as I already take too many tablets I have opted out of that solution. I prefer to put up with it and wait for it to subside.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do