We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Many more car assists mandatory from 2014, courtesy of the EU

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Talk about the speaking clock and the satnavs! :) Seriously though, I expect some 'assists' will be of help to some drivers. For myself, then I'm afraid I'd be soon looking for the main cut off button in order to retain my sanity. :)

Are we all sitting comfortably? Then here comes the story

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan - The Honda Jazz CVT has a steel belt and is not that rare being fitted to Honda, Lexus, Toyota, Ford,Renault/Nissan, etc.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

No different to the distraction of a sat nav, a hands free phone, or even tuning the radio!

I wonder if any studies have been done into the severity of various distractions. I think there is considerable difference between them.

I used to find the most distracting being a business telephone conversation, albeit a hands free one. Far more distracting than talking to a passenger where I could simply shut then off in my mind if I needed to concentrate for example.

The "hands free" is just a red herring in this case. It's the occupying of the brain by another activity that requires some thought that's dangerous whilst you are driving.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Really? I honestly had no idea. But I dont drive cars much these days.

WTM

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I found this list of cvt cars. They are far more numerous than I gave them credit for! I thought they were one of those things that had faded into automotive obscurity, along with dynamo's, starting handles (No, I dont care if your old landrover still has a handle, I'm talking new stuff) and choke cables.

WTM

Like this post
tryanothername

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

Wow. that is some list.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I thought that list would be 99% DAF models.

As for starting handles, my 1970 Hillman Imp had the hole in the rear bumper for one, but they must have decided that it was too modern to put it on the market with that back-up starting system. But as it was 4 years old when I bought it, it would have been very useful when I think back to the number of times that it would have been a great back-up!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

oresome. No I am spoiling myself rotten, because no other bugger will.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I can't remember the starting Handle being a "Back-Up" I remember it as being THE starter.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The Jazz's CVT is really good, very smooth and very little loss of fuel economy.

The starting handle was very good for getting a car out of mud, etc. Put it in reverse and wind.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Watch out everyone! It's another one of Woolwells wind up stories!

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer