We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Many more car assists mandatory from 2014, courtesy of the EU

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Talk about the speaking clock and the satnavs! :) Seriously though, I expect some 'assists' will be of help to some drivers. For myself, then I'm afraid I'd be soon looking for the main cut off button in order to retain my sanity. :)

Are we all sitting comfortably? Then here comes the story

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you're on the phone, any more than a narrow tunnel of vision going as far as the end of your nose is all that's required.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I was referring to the known power transfer efficiency of the mechanical Vs the hydraulic drive train.

A boy racer will always get minimum economy for maximum pose value with either type of transmission.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Latest figure prove that an Auto box will actually give more MPG than a manual box, and and for some drivers (if not most) they are actually quicker than a manual box.

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

The thing I really miss on my new vehicle is cruise controll. Although it is a base model with plastic wheel trims, no distracting running/front fog lights. It has, as mentioned earlier equipment now classed as standard for a middle of the road car. These aids give a fuel efficiency near or exceeding the manufacturers figures.

Town and city driving usually gives around the 58mpg, while going on a run can give 70mpg. Which I am well pleased with.

I am hoping when we change in around 18 months that I will go for a semi- auto box and choose model of car but the se. Things have moved on from my last auto box car. A P reg yellow austin allegro 3 semi auto. ;-)

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

My current Volvo is the first "Auto" I have owned. Having no experience of torque converter automatics I find the Powershift really quite good.The twin clutches change effortlessly but the management system is the real heart of the system as it adapts to your driving style.You can drive as a manual by paddle shifting the stick a well.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

My first auto was 1980 and I'd never go back.

My brother had a bubble car that didn't have a reverse gear. It could be awkward getting out sometimes as the only door was at the front.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

People who drone on and on about how 'real drivers' eschew automatic transmission as though it's something no good driver would touch with a bargepole make me smile.

Anyone who drives in a big busy city on a daily basis - as I do - knows that automatic transmissions help you to be a better, safer, more considerate driver - one that arrives less stressed than someone who has wrestled with a clutch and gearstick a hundred times in the last hour.

It's a no-brainer - automatic every time for really good drivers. Manual gear-changes are so old-hat.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I am a little worried that in the photo in the link the only nag the driver would get is to put the seat belt on. She doesn't look to me as if she can see the road over the dashboard.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

F.E you have to admit that only a few years ago most Auto boxes were to put it mildly not very good, a long time ago I had an old Vauxhall Viscount enter link description here similar to that one.

3 speed auto that couldn't decide which gear it wanted,

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Anyone who drives in a big busy city on a daily basis - as I do - knows that automatic transmissions help you to be a better, safer, more considerate driver

Anyone who has automatic transmission and has experienced both may believe this to be the case. I wouldn't know it to be so because I've only ever driven vehicles with a manual gearbox.

I would suggest that drivers with expensive cars tend to be successful types with busy schedules who aren't the best at exhibiting consideration for others. Just as well that many drive automatics..........if they had to wrestle with a gear lever they would get really stressed and take it out on the rest of us.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED