We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Many more car assists mandatory from 2014, courtesy of the EU

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Talk about the speaking clock and the satnavs! :) Seriously though, I expect some 'assists' will be of help to some drivers. For myself, then I'm afraid I'd be soon looking for the main cut off button in order to retain my sanity. :)

Are we all sitting comfortably? Then here comes the story

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

I have a large Powershift Volvo and it has bells, gongs and chimes and it tells me to fill the washer bottle and all the other stuff.I have a SATNAV that talks to me with a female voice and I can talk back to it,although we have not been out to Dinner yet.The car can phone people up with just a voice command from me. One day I expect to see it drive away on it's own and telephone me when it's got to where it wanted to go. I sometimes think how simple life was when I had my 105E Ford Anglia.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I don't know of many drivers who check their car tyre pressure each morning, and no one, no matter how experienced can visibly detect a pressure loss say up to half pressure just by looking. A loss serious enough to be dangerous, in this situation auto tyre pressure monitoring is a life saver

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'...that talks to me with a female voice and I can talk back to it,although we have not been out to Dinner yet'

Even I would start to think That I needed to get out more on that one:)

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

namtas

tyre pressure monitoring may well be a life save at some point, if the driver takes any notice of it. All these bells and whistles are fine and dandy until the driver begins to ignore them.

At a guess I would say I see 10% of vehicles at mot time with a warning light illuminated on the dash, generally when mentioned to the customer, we find the light has been on for more than a day or 2.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Mark2

You will never be able to self regulate human behaviour and enforcement can only be up to a point at which it becomes a inconvenience or dangerous.

I have had motorist driving unaware with the tyre smoking and off the rim, equally I have seen motorist driving with the oil pressure light illuminated. We have daily drivers who put diesel in petrol vehicles and vice versa but the behaviour of a few should not and can not be the yardstick for the masses.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

It does strike me as strange that one or two contributors to this thread, who appear to be self professed 'better drivers' than the majority, seem to pour scorn on warning systems provided to help those less skilled drivers who haven't had the benefit of reaching their levels of proficiency;-)

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

When I ask she is always washing her headlamps.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

No need for a device to tell me what gear I'm in.

I've driven an automatic (no, not the same one!) since 1973. That's his or her problem (don't know what sex it is either - it doesn't interfere with me, and I don't interfere with it, except very occasionally when going up a hill.

(Cries of horror and laziness and lack of skill all round! Jump in, start engine, select fwd, put hands on steering wheel and go. Leave hands on steering wheel for next five hours except for important things like scratching nose!)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The long reign of manual gearboxes has always been down to the better fuel economy achieved over a hydraulic transmission.

Had the hydraulic gearbox been invented first, I don't doubt that the more fuel efficient manual gearbox would have come about as a miracle fuel saving automotive advancement:)

The current increase in automatic gearboxes are an automatic shifting mechanism using 2 clutches fitted to what is basically a standard manual gearbox giving similar fuel economy.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps now the frosty weather is upon us, vehicles should have a warning device about defrosting windows in vehicles before driving off ( excluding the foot square in front of the driver's face). Around my neck of the woods, this is getting just as bad as people using mobile phones when driving.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made