We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Many more car assists mandatory from 2014, courtesy of the EU

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Talk about the speaking clock and the satnavs! :) Seriously though, I expect some 'assists' will be of help to some drivers. For myself, then I'm afraid I'd be soon looking for the main cut off button in order to retain my sanity. :)

Are we all sitting comfortably? Then here comes the story

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

I believe in Liverpool it's essential to check that you have wheels as well before setting off.

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

carver

Oh it must be great to be such a great driver.

The computer aid that "suggests" you may get better fuel economy if you change gear. It does not tell you TO change gear. Motor manufacturers are trying to get there cars with lowest emmisions e.g. start stop, no spare wheel and to get the best fuel efficiency from the car e.g. start stop, change gear indicator.

Would you rather we went back to no air bags, no abs,no power steering, crossplie tyres, drum breaks and shove half a dozen kids in the back of a van.Then we could all rely on our driving skills.

I think that is why we have moved over from pen and paper to computers, it's called progress.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Algerian Peter

Took the words right out of my mouth. Anything that aids efficiency and safety cannot be a bad thing.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

I agree generally with carver, it is the driver's responsibility at all times for tyres lights etc to working correctly, and for the driver to be obeying speed limits etc, the onboard computer can't see ahead for you, or round that blind bend when it's telling you to go up a gear.

but currently even with these drivers aids, so many of the warning lights go ignored or even unnoticed by many drivers, I regularly see vehicles with brakes metal to metal even with the brake wear warning light illuminated. The answer must be better driver education rather than a computerized light display telling you what to do.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Algerian peter

"Oh it must be great to be such a great driver"

Thank you for the complement, since when has having no spare tyre been an improvement and when people start relying on a little light inside their car to tell them their tyres are OK then they are in a dream world.

And do not suggest that I disapprove of better brakes or tyre improvement or ABS,stop start is debatable because you need a very good battery to manage it, but then ABS is now taken for granted and when it snows a lot of people just slam on their brakes and hope for the best, result accident.

If they wanted to make things safer then have a minimum stopping distance for all cars, make it compulsory to have a minimum braking efficiency of 85% at MOT time, have the minimum tread depth increased to 3mm, these are the sort of things that make cars safer.

I do a lot of driving in a 7.5 Ton Horse box and you do not just get into that and drive off, you check things then drive.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

"speed limited on a HGV is completely different, the only time that comes into effect is on a motorway when they are not even at the maximum speed limit"

It will restrict anywhere when its limit speed is reached.

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

" people start relying on a little light inside their car to tell them their tyres are OK "

It does not tell them there tyres are OK, it tells them that the tyre pressure is within safe paramiters, like they have on formula 1 cars. It does not tell you your tyres are bald, have bulges or about to disintegrate.

I, like most give a visual appraisal of tyres and the condition of the vehicle on a regular basis. My main dealer informs me of tyre wear I cannot see, unless I take the wheel off, brake condition and any other saftey feature I cannot check. I can check tyre depth, condition, oil level, brake fluid level, washer level. I can judge brake pedal distance, can tell if the breaks pull and can tell if pads are so low they steel rubs the disks. The car is serviced every 6 months because of the milage I do.

Like most driver "aids". They have come down from motor racing into luxury cars and then into main stream motors. They are a selling point and most now come as standard and not optional extras.

The driver is always in control and should take these aids as extra bit of information to decide how they drive.

You would not agree with a sat nav instruction that told you to drive of the end of beechy head. You would use your common sence.

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

mark2

"the onboard computer can't see ahead for you, or round that blind bend when it's telling you to go up a gear."

Of course it cannot. It just advises you that to get maximum fuel efficiency at your current speed to change up to a higher gear. You judge if the conditions are correct to change.

Saying it cannot read the road conditions ahead is preposterous.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Algerian peter please do not go down that road (pun) enter link description here some people would do any thing if a voice from the dash board told them to

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Another one but not so funny enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014