We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Many more car assists mandatory from 2014, courtesy of the EU

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Talk about the speaking clock and the satnavs! :) Seriously though, I expect some 'assists' will be of help to some drivers. For myself, then I'm afraid I'd be soon looking for the main cut off button in order to retain my sanity. :)

Are we all sitting comfortably? Then here comes the story

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

People who drone on and on about how 'real drivers' eschew automatic transmission as though it's something no good driver would touch with a bargepole make me smile.

Anyone who drives in a big busy city on a daily basis - as I do - knows that automatic transmissions help you to be a better, safer, more considerate driver - one that arrives less stressed than someone who has wrestled with a clutch and gearstick a hundred times in the last hour.

It's a no-brainer - automatic every time for really good drivers. Manual gear-changes are so old-hat.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I am a little worried that in the photo in the link the only nag the driver would get is to put the seat belt on. She doesn't look to me as if she can see the road over the dashboard.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

F.E you have to admit that only a few years ago most Auto boxes were to put it mildly not very good, a long time ago I had an old Vauxhall Viscount enter link description here similar to that one.

3 speed auto that couldn't decide which gear it wanted,

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Anyone who drives in a big busy city on a daily basis - as I do - knows that automatic transmissions help you to be a better, safer, more considerate driver

Anyone who has automatic transmission and has experienced both may believe this to be the case. I wouldn't know it to be so because I've only ever driven vehicles with a manual gearbox.

I would suggest that drivers with expensive cars tend to be successful types with busy schedules who aren't the best at exhibiting consideration for others. Just as well that many drive automatics..........if they had to wrestle with a gear lever they would get really stressed and take it out on the rest of us.

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

carver

That is a bout 40 year old technology http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=print&thread=119062 Cars have advanced:- engines, transmitions, safety equipment,lights, brakes, reliability, fuel economy, comfort.

With the ever expanding safety features modern cars are better for the environment in the case of co2 emmisions, more efficient in the way of fuel consumption and the main argument, safer.

How do feel about the new volvo with a pedestrian airbag aid. Do you scoff at that, even though the level of pedestrian deaths and injuries?

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

oresome

Never mind a large city, commuting through a small town at peak times has finally convinsed me that my next one will be a auto or semi-auto.

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

Carver

you said

" Another one but not so funny "

Here is why everyone, sorry most are trying to make the roads safer with new innovations.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-pedestrian-deaths-and-cycle-injuries-soar-7899270.html

http://www.ciht.org.uk/en/media-centre/news.cfm/pedestrian-and-cycle-road-deaths-increase

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Correct, about time they made it compulsory to use pedestrian crossings and made jay walking a criminal offence.

And cyclists should be made to have some form of insurance.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

What they do not tell you is other than the Starter and Battery getting some stick with stop start, These are easy to get at and replace but try replacing the Flywheel and you may find Sub-Frame as to come out, and Gearbox off. As a 4 cylinder Engine stops and starts in only 2 places on the Flywheel and so the gear get knackered at these 2 points. with constant stop starting

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Algerian peter please you are now getting a little bit silly about this, it is not better for the environment to buy a new car, it's actually cleaner to keep an older car as the amount of Co2 produced in making a new car accounts for 28% of its output of Co2

Hybrid cars are even worse for the environment because of the batteries.

enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...