We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Many more car assists mandatory from 2014, courtesy of the EU

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Talk about the speaking clock and the satnavs! :) Seriously though, I expect some 'assists' will be of help to some drivers. For myself, then I'm afraid I'd be soon looking for the main cut off button in order to retain my sanity. :)

Are we all sitting comfortably? Then here comes the story

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

When I ask she is always washing her headlamps.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

No need for a device to tell me what gear I'm in.

I've driven an automatic (no, not the same one!) since 1973. That's his or her problem (don't know what sex it is either - it doesn't interfere with me, and I don't interfere with it, except very occasionally when going up a hill.

(Cries of horror and laziness and lack of skill all round! Jump in, start engine, select fwd, put hands on steering wheel and go. Leave hands on steering wheel for next five hours except for important things like scratching nose!)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The long reign of manual gearboxes has always been down to the better fuel economy achieved over a hydraulic transmission.

Had the hydraulic gearbox been invented first, I don't doubt that the more fuel efficient manual gearbox would have come about as a miracle fuel saving automotive advancement:)

The current increase in automatic gearboxes are an automatic shifting mechanism using 2 clutches fitted to what is basically a standard manual gearbox giving similar fuel economy.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps now the frosty weather is upon us, vehicles should have a warning device about defrosting windows in vehicles before driving off ( excluding the foot square in front of the driver's face). Around my neck of the woods, this is getting just as bad as people using mobile phones when driving.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you're on the phone, any more than a narrow tunnel of vision going as far as the end of your nose is all that's required.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I was referring to the known power transfer efficiency of the mechanical Vs the hydraulic drive train.

A boy racer will always get minimum economy for maximum pose value with either type of transmission.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Latest figure prove that an Auto box will actually give more MPG than a manual box, and and for some drivers (if not most) they are actually quicker than a manual box.

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

The thing I really miss on my new vehicle is cruise controll. Although it is a base model with plastic wheel trims, no distracting running/front fog lights. It has, as mentioned earlier equipment now classed as standard for a middle of the road car. These aids give a fuel efficiency near or exceeding the manufacturers figures.

Town and city driving usually gives around the 58mpg, while going on a run can give 70mpg. Which I am well pleased with.

I am hoping when we change in around 18 months that I will go for a semi- auto box and choose model of car but the se. Things have moved on from my last auto box car. A P reg yellow austin allegro 3 semi auto. ;-)

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

My current Volvo is the first "Auto" I have owned. Having no experience of torque converter automatics I find the Powershift really quite good.The twin clutches change effortlessly but the management system is the real heart of the system as it adapts to your driving style.You can drive as a manual by paddle shifting the stick a well.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

My first auto was 1980 and I'd never go back.

My brother had a bubble car that didn't have a reverse gear. It could be awkward getting out sometimes as the only door was at the front.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?