We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Many more car assists mandatory from 2014, courtesy of the EU

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Talk about the speaking clock and the satnavs! :) Seriously though, I expect some 'assists' will be of help to some drivers. For myself, then I'm afraid I'd be soon looking for the main cut off button in order to retain my sanity. :)

Are we all sitting comfortably? Then here comes the story

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

" people start relying on a little light inside their car to tell them their tyres are OK "

It does not tell them there tyres are OK, it tells them that the tyre pressure is within safe paramiters, like they have on formula 1 cars. It does not tell you your tyres are bald, have bulges or about to disintegrate.

I, like most give a visual appraisal of tyres and the condition of the vehicle on a regular basis. My main dealer informs me of tyre wear I cannot see, unless I take the wheel off, brake condition and any other saftey feature I cannot check. I can check tyre depth, condition, oil level, brake fluid level, washer level. I can judge brake pedal distance, can tell if the breaks pull and can tell if pads are so low they steel rubs the disks. The car is serviced every 6 months because of the milage I do.

Like most driver "aids". They have come down from motor racing into luxury cars and then into main stream motors. They are a selling point and most now come as standard and not optional extras.

The driver is always in control and should take these aids as extra bit of information to decide how they drive.

You would not agree with a sat nav instruction that told you to drive of the end of beechy head. You would use your common sence.

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

mark2

"the onboard computer can't see ahead for you, or round that blind bend when it's telling you to go up a gear."

Of course it cannot. It just advises you that to get maximum fuel efficiency at your current speed to change up to a higher gear. You judge if the conditions are correct to change.

Saying it cannot read the road conditions ahead is preposterous.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Algerian peter please do not go down that road (pun) enter link description here some people would do any thing if a voice from the dash board told them to

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Another one but not so funny enter link description here

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

I have a large Powershift Volvo and it has bells, gongs and chimes and it tells me to fill the washer bottle and all the other stuff.I have a SATNAV that talks to me with a female voice and I can talk back to it,although we have not been out to Dinner yet.The car can phone people up with just a voice command from me. One day I expect to see it drive away on it's own and telephone me when it's got to where it wanted to go. I sometimes think how simple life was when I had my 105E Ford Anglia.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I don't know of many drivers who check their car tyre pressure each morning, and no one, no matter how experienced can visibly detect a pressure loss say up to half pressure just by looking. A loss serious enough to be dangerous, in this situation auto tyre pressure monitoring is a life saver

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'...that talks to me with a female voice and I can talk back to it,although we have not been out to Dinner yet'

Even I would start to think That I needed to get out more on that one:)

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

namtas

tyre pressure monitoring may well be a life save at some point, if the driver takes any notice of it. All these bells and whistles are fine and dandy until the driver begins to ignore them.

At a guess I would say I see 10% of vehicles at mot time with a warning light illuminated on the dash, generally when mentioned to the customer, we find the light has been on for more than a day or 2.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Mark2

You will never be able to self regulate human behaviour and enforcement can only be up to a point at which it becomes a inconvenience or dangerous.

I have had motorist driving unaware with the tyre smoking and off the rim, equally I have seen motorist driving with the oil pressure light illuminated. We have daily drivers who put diesel in petrol vehicles and vice versa but the behaviour of a few should not and can not be the yardstick for the masses.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

It does strike me as strange that one or two contributors to this thread, who appear to be self professed 'better drivers' than the majority, seem to pour scorn on warning systems provided to help those less skilled drivers who haven't had the benefit of reaching their levels of proficiency;-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes