We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Many more car assists mandatory from 2014, courtesy of the EU

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Talk about the speaking clock and the satnavs! :) Seriously though, I expect some 'assists' will be of help to some drivers. For myself, then I'm afraid I'd be soon looking for the main cut off button in order to retain my sanity. :)

Are we all sitting comfortably? Then here comes the story

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

The problems start to occur in a few years for those that run older cars.

The warning devices will become part of the MOT and it will be economically unviable to maintain many vehicles when a fault develops.

You might be inclined to check the tyre pressures manually one per week, but if the automated tyre pressure gizzmo fails at a repair cost of several hundred pounds it might be a case of scrapping the car.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"this reduces the chance of blowouts "

I can't remember the last time I heard of a blowout under normal circumstances.

Obviously damaged tyres or "down to the canvas" tyres will blow, but tyre pressure monitors are not going to stop such things, or the people that drive them.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

carver

That sounds like a recycling of the old '60s argument of 'I buy cars with big and powerful engines so I can drive myself out of trouble...' Or is it into trouble?

We don't have daily havoc and mayhem of this nature caused by commercials that do have their maximum speed limited, despite the same arguments put forward when the legislation was implemented. We would moan a bit (for some a lot) and quickly fall into line once we realise that we have constraints to live within.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

oresome That is already the case.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

oresome That is already the case.

Where fitted.

The point of the original post being that all cars will have such devices. At the moment I can elect to kick my tyres, change gear when I please, remember the seat belt, turn the lights off, ensure the doors are closed etc and pocket the savings in original purchase price, depreciation and on- going repair costs.

In fact with the savings I might stretch to buying a spare wheel.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam having your speed limited on a HGV is completely different, the only time that comes into effect is on a motorway when they are not even at the maximum speed limit, or on a duel carriageway showing national speed limit.

And yes you can drive your way out of trouble by increasing your tyre speed which in turn shows up as an increase in your speedometer reading .

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

And yes you can drive your way out of trouble by increasing your tyre speed

I don't disagree that it's possible, but I wonder what the proportions are of getting you out of trouble compared with getting you in trouble?

I think many cars are far too powerful for the skill of the driver, especially if they have an over-inflated opinion of their own ability.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Now that I've grown well past the boy racer age, and see the world through my fathers eyes, the advantage of being able drive yourself out of trouble, is undoubtedly the narrow escape from having driven yourself into trouble in the first place...

It would work, it just requires a degree of patience and reading the road ahead. That's something that all learners and advanced drivers get impressed on them. The problem with that, is the great majority that fall in-between that have forgotten all that!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

All some of these measures will do is give the idiot driver an excuse for not doing safety inspections on their car.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

safety inspections???

Who does those?

Some might check if doing a long journey but most people just jump in and drive off to - the school run - the shops - work - everyday.

I know people that can't even change a light bulb, never mind check tyres for pressure or wear - just look how many cars with faulty lights you see in a 30 min journey at rush hour tonight.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED