We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Many more car assists mandatory from 2014, courtesy of the EU

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Talk about the speaking clock and the satnavs! :) Seriously though, I expect some 'assists' will be of help to some drivers. For myself, then I'm afraid I'd be soon looking for the main cut off button in order to retain my sanity. :)

Are we all sitting comfortably? Then here comes the story

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I don't have a problem with any of these, my car has the gear change indicator fitted and surprisingly it does act as a welcome monitor when you glance and get the reminder, especially useful on gradients. I don't believe that all motorists check their tyres as regular as they should, I regularly see drivers with very low and even flat tyres totally unaware.

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

We have a Spanish Seat Altea ecomotive that has all 3 features as standard.

The gear change indicator is quite useful in some circumstances.

Recently changed the 2 front tyres and the low pressure indicator came on, just pressed the reset button to take it off.

It also has stop / start for the engine, this has an override button for when you think it will be a short stop.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Still no driver awareness tools - 6" spike in the middle of the steering wheel. grin

I think a speed limiter (10mph) for any car with a light missing at night would be useful.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

My Golf has all off these and the tyre pressure warning is brilliant. Even though I have been driving for around 50 years I still occasionally leave my car in too lower a gear by mistake as you cannot hear the engine at all and the gear change indicator is a very useful reminder.

Can't see any problem at all with these proposals.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I think a speed limiter (10mph) for any car with a light missing at night would be useful.

Picture the scene - it's pitch black on a motorway and a car with defective lights is struggling along at 10 mph whilst being caught up and, hopefully, overtaken by traffic travelling at least 8 times faster. Nooooo!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Roll on the day when all we have to do is program in the destination and the auto drive function gives you a gentle pinging to awaken you at your destination feeling fully refreshed...

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

All I can say is God HELP US if any body needs some thing to remind them to change gear, put some people in a car with an arrow that flashes and they would just think it's part of the sat nav they are so thick.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

One thing that is technically feasible is the ability to implement a maximum vehicle speed limit via GPS location and tamperproof vehicle software mapping.

I do believe that this will happen in my lifetime and is certainly more likely to come about than any kind of gun control is in the USA.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...but then, I suppose that finding intelligent life on Mars is more likely than that too.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

The last thing you want is for your speed to be limited by some thing that doesn't know what you are doing, not the best way to get killed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers