We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Road Charges Toll Roads

woodchip

Likes # 0

Toll Charges mostly round London but where next?

Click Hear

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

We all need to travel from place to place, so it's the perfect way to screw money out of people.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"We all need to travel from place to place, so it's the perfect way to screw money out of people."

It's actually the perfect way to catch people who try to avoid paying. The London Congestion charge scheme has operated for about eight years now, and if you don't pay you are fined. That seems perfectly fair to me, so I can't see why you're calling it an attempt "to screw money out of people".

If you break the law you must expect to pay the penalty.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

No Idea about this, but how would it affect someone that as Free Road Tax like me, on Mobility. Including the scheme for two tier Motorway Tolls

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

woodchip

Your tax disc shows your exemption, and therefore so will the DVLA record of your vehicle.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If all vehicles, on the toll-road, had appropriate 'Bar Code' identifiers of a [readable / scanable size] ... t'would make this 'money-making-scheme' much more efficient .. like what they have at shop check-out tills ... kerching!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - Many countries use electronic tolling and the Tamar Bridge in England has a system.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

It is all well,arguably.that toll roads should be the 'norm' but should the prices paid go to private enterprise or to the Exchequer,after all it is public money which financed these avenues of production.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'm not talking about the fines, I'm talking about the fact that we pay Road Tax, Fuel Duty, VAT on fuel, ever rising insurance and, increasingly, tolls.

At some point the pips will start to squeak

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I would prefer to see a system where a reminder letter was sent after a week or so before an actual fine was sent (with maybe a fair surcharge added to cover the cost of retrieving owner details and postage - say £6 or £7 added).

I'd imagine it to be quite easy to drive on one of these roads without realising you have to go online to pay a toll, especially on long journeys where you may use several of them and be unfamiliar with the roads. Or even if you do realise at the time, it's very easy to innocently forget something like that after a busy day of traveling.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I'd imagine it to be quite easy to drive on one of these roads without realising you have to go online to pay a toll"

It's difficult not know when you enter the London congestion charging zone, there are large warning signs by the roadside, and big markers in the road lanes. If you do forget you have until the end of the next day to pay.

You can pay on-line or over the phone. As for automation, it works perfectly. Each time I enter the zone the computer system recognises my car number plate and records a charge. At the end of each month the relevant amount is taken from my bank account. I haven't once had a problem since the scheme started.

The same technology is used all over the world, and it could easily operate on UK toll roads.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features