We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft to retire Windows Live Messenger

Al94

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's been on the cards for some time.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I like the terminology................not.

Skype's top-up services offer the chance to monetise its users

It sounds painful.

Perhaps it it will be in the pocket!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Does that mean to make them look like pretty ladies with parasols strolling in France?

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

I never ever used Messenger and had to go to some lengths to stop it automatically starting each time the PC was switched on.

I suppose it was because I never knew anyone else who used it - perhaps I was too old for it? I came across a few people who had the interface load each time with a username but I never asked them what they used it for.

I've got Skype but hardly ever use it as I've got a phone with free calls which came with my broadband deal. Other than that, I'm on Facebook daily but not Twitter.

I would guess Facebook & Twitter have probably been the final nails in the coffin.

I won't miss it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Phil Ocifer - If you have family overseas then you would use Skype fairly frequently. A bigger nail in the coffin is likely to be the fact the Microsoft bought Skype.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I have used MSN Messenger and WL Messenger since the day it came out and it has been a great service. I often chat with friends and family from all over the world and we see each other so it is almost like having them in the same room. Skype used to have a huge energy demand so I never went down that route but since Microsoft has bought it I fully expect the new Service whatever it will be called will have the best of both worlds. The new Microsoft replacement for Hotmail, Outlook is so much better and easier to use and has done away with adverts. All you have to do is remember what it used to cost you to make an overseas verbal call and then see that you get the same free but with live picture feed at the same time so to me it is really a no brainer to use the service.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Ha Ha sometimes it's better NOT to see those who you are talking to :)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You don't have to use video.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...