We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

confused by coverage of the US elections

passing through

Likes # 0

Could someone enlighten me why the BBC1, ITV, BBC news 24 and Sky news are transmitting the US election results from 10pm this evening, i.e. 6/11/2012.

Surely at 10pm, it is 5pm Washington time and 3pm on the west coast ( I think). Now don't they have around a further 6 hours of voting time before the polls shut.

Do they, the news channels, have hours and hours of speculation, are the votes already cast released to give indications or would it be more feasible for them to broadcast at 10am the following morning.

I know the United States Presidential election is important to us and I am looking forward to the outcome but I will not be watching all night for what seems a lot of waffle.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Some polls close early in small towns, there was at least one result available this morning where all the postal votes had been submitted and counted

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

all night for a waffle

my local is closing from 6 tonight for an election 'party' until 6 in the morning so waffle or not there are people seriously interested in the outcome amidst an alcoholic stream that is.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

passing through

Like you I understand the importance of this election but do we really need this wall to wall coverage by the media? My perception, so far, is that we are having more coverage here than we did for our own general election.

Why? We have absolutely no say in the outcome and will have to live with whatever the Americans decide.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"do we really need this wall to wall coverage by the media?"

I'm not sure that 'need' is the word, but there is an enormous amount of interest in this election.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

" ..there is an enormous amount of interest in this election."

From the media et al, perhaps. From my relatively small sample of relatives, friends etc. that I've spoken to it seems, without exception, they are as bemused as I am over the coverage.. It also seems, from another of today's BBC news feeds from the US, that the US citizens are also becoming disenchanted with the amount of razzmatazz surrounding this event.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

While it is important to us, so are the elections in Germany and France, but they get nothing like the same amount of coverage.

I have not met one person with more just a general interest.

Maybe there is a different outlook in the more cosmopolitan parts of London, but this is just an ongoing symptom of our press and televisions' obsession with all things America,, from language to celebrities.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Although the elections in Germany and France, (plus Italy and Greece and Spain with euro problems, etc), are important I suggest that the elections in USA may have rather more importance not least regarding future US foreign policy. How the US reacts to Iran, Israel, the Middle East, Pakistan, etc is likely to have far great impact on us than who is elected in any European country.

Hollywood (like it or not) has a major influence on celebrities. People watch TV and read magazine and papers to find out about "celebrities". I suspect that it is the same in other countries too.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I hope BBC Radio4 [sensibly] 'bucks the trend'and steadies the ship with 'Sailing By', the Shipping Forcasts, Farming Today, Today, The Weather, Prayer For Today ... and the Racing Tips.

When the World News does 'kicks in' at 1 am, I will be fast asleep!

I am looking forward to tomorrow's early morning news regarding the result of American Presidential Election, though.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

" I suggest that the elections in USA may have rather more importance not least regarding future US foreign policy. How the US reacts to Iran, Israel, the Middle East, Pakistan, etc is likely to have far great impact on us than who is elected in any European country."

Don't think anyone is disputing that. The point is, we have absolutely no influence on the outcome so why all the hype at this side of the pond. Surely it would have been sufficient to run a news item tomorrow informing us of the new incumbent of the White House and the likely ramifications. I doubt our general election has anything like this coverage in the US.

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

OK. Lessons learnt about my original question.

I thought the US polls would be open till 9pm or 10pm US time.

The polls closed at 7pm US. So that would be midnight here for the east coast and 2am for the west for the final counting to begin.

"but I will not be watching all night for what seems a lot of waffle."

Couldn't sleep so watched it into the middle of the night.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...