We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BBC Radio is no longer on Freeview after 4pm and 5pm.

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

At 5pm tonight I was lowering my venetian blinds after listening to a radio4 programme about cyborgs, when all-of-a-sudden the sound and picture on my TV which was tuned in to Freeview, conked out ... I thought it was the screeching sound of the blinds going down that caused this 'blank out'.

After a few seconds a red screen was displayed saying...

**This BBC Radio service is not available on Freeview: Weekdays 5pm to midnight Saturday 4pm to 1.00am Sunday 4pm to midnight You can continue to listen to BBC Radio services via FM, digital radio, digital cable and satellite TV, at bbc.co.uk/radio or at individual websites. BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Radio 1 Xtra and BBC Radio 6 Music continue to be available on Freeview**.

Has this just happened today?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Good point about hotels and radio on tv's.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"digital radio came along for free."

But it isn't.

With ever increasing energy costs listening to radio via a powered up TV is surely not the best option?

Given that DAB radios are also power hungry, if you don;t want the expense of a separate internet radio, why not connect a couple of powered speakers to your computer?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morddwyd - I connected to internet radio about a year ago via my 1gb/month bb modem dongle [using a piece of software called Radiotracker] and left it 'running' for 4 hours whilst I went to visit my sister's house.

On returning, I discovered that I had 'ran up' a bill for £60 'cos I had went way past my allocated monthly download.Worst of all the radio sounds had not been saved to my hard disk.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I'm sure the capital cost of 4 DAB radios outweighs any energy savings "

That's why I suggested internet radio (with, in deference to HB, broadband and a decent limit), the only capital cost being a pair of powered speakers.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morddwyd - I listen to the radio (BBC radio4) at night time [in bed] thru' to dawn, so internet listening (via a computer) does not appeal to me.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I listen to FM radio 4 via normal and tiny Roberts pocket radios with a headset. I have a DAB /FM /iPod clock radio that wakes me up and has a sleep function. I belie3ve FM uses less power than DAB on battery sets and in my view has better sound.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"and in my view has better sound."

Whole new ball game.

Thermionic v transistor, CD v vinyl, wood surround v man made, flat v graphic equaliser, even velvet curtains v Venetian blinds!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...