We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

police commissioner elections

passing through

Likes # 0

Do you think it is a good idea to have a commissioner of police instead of the old police authority. If the correct person is voted in, will they have the teeth and inclination to force chief constables to there way of thinking.

Or will you not be voting.

With a bit of luck our local candidate will sail in. http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Lord-Prescott-odds-favourite-PCC-role/story-17222944-detail/story.html

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There was a program on television the other evening, and it appeared with the studio debate and interviewing the 'high street' public, that very few people knew who were their local candidates, and what the job actually entailed. Most people seemed to complain about lack of published information, especially from the prospective candidates. Other's seemed to express the view that this was more political, than for the public.

There was a government advisor involved in this, who was in full support for the system, yet other organisations like Liberty had doubts about the true value of this new position of public participation, direct contact or actual accountability, as things progressed.

Going off subject, but in the city that I live near, we were given no choice about having an elected Mayor. This as brought all sorts of problems and now there is talk about having a referendum on the issues of having a Mayor or actually getting rid of them. Apparently you only need 12.000 votes to force a referendum, and I wonder if this same rule applies to the new position of police Commissioner, if sufficient people become dissatisfied?.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Woolwell

A good point - thanks for that.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

As I understand it, the commissioner will ensure the priorities of the police reflect the concerns of the public.

The problem is that the crimes I observe are low level anti-social crimes, like litter dropping, damaging bus shelters etc. More a parenting issue than a policing one. You'd need a policeman on every street corner 24 hrs a day to catch this sort of behaviour which is clearly not possible.

I've no idea how much so called white collar crime goes on, how much organised crime there is, etc etc, so I don't feel I'm in a position to dictate priorities to a professional with these statistics at hand.

It seems more like window dressing to me and will possibly divert resources from where they really should be aimed.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Regarding 'low level' crimes ; just because you can't police all of it doesn't mean that you should give up on it, which is what appears to have happened.

WTM

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

As far as I know the person elected will be just like a local Councillor /MP. They will have a fixed term to serve before coming back for a public reelection. If they do not listen to the views of the public and try and implement concerns they could be voted out of office, something you can not do with the police authority chief executives.

Pine Man

" A good point - thanks for that. "

It was mentioned in the OP that the PCC would replace the old police authority structure.

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

Received via post today, a leaflet listing all candidates and their proposals.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers