We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

police commissioner elections

passing through

Likes # 0

Do you think it is a good idea to have a commissioner of police instead of the old police authority. If the correct person is voted in, will they have the teeth and inclination to force chief constables to there way of thinking.

Or will you not be voting.

With a bit of luck our local candidate will sail in. http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Lord-Prescott-odds-favourite-PCC-role/story-17222944-detail/story.html

Like this post
NORFOLK SPARKY

Likes # 1

I will be voting but reluctantly. I will vote for the independent as I believe it should not be a political post. If I don't vote, as in ordinary elections, I feel I would not have the right to complain if what I would like done is not done. Perhaps we should all be compelled to vote, but then there should be an option saying the lot of you are not worth voting for. then the politicians would get a nasty surprise or do they already know they are not liked

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

just because you can't police all of it doesn't mean that you should give up on it, which is what appears to have happened.

For many years the police have had limited resources so by necessity they have had to prioritise their efforts towards dealing with the more serious matters. Those resource are now significantly less and are likely to sink even lower. They cannot deal with everything and to suggest that having a PCC will improve matters is, in my opinion, ludicrous.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I believe that some police forces estimate that over 90^ of crime in their area is drug fuelled.

Small wonder, then, that they devote a lot of their resources to this area, rather than anti-social behaviour and car crime.

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

"With a bit of luck our local candidate will sail in. http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Lord-Prescott-odds-favourite-PCC-role/story-17222944-detail/story.html"

I hope Two-Jags doesn't end up with egg on his substantial chops.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

LanceAlot

Not sure if its my side, but I seem to get 'page not found' when trying to use your link?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I notice reference as been given to car crime, and if my location is similar to anywhere else, then most of it goes unreported. Cheaper to get replacement parts than to involve an insurance company or the police.

A few weeks ago, I was unfortunate to have three of my tyres let down overnight. Had to purchase three new replacement tyres, and reported the fact to the police (in case it had occured elsewhere in the area, as an intelligence report). Report taken, and possibly resolved to that is the end of that episode?.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

What happens, if this happens ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMnwzlwM1qs

Like this post
tryanothername

Likes # 0

Just come back from casting my vote. I think it is important to vote.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I think it is important to vote

I think the whole idea is flawed and those people who are voting don't really understand what they are actually voting for.

If you think that merely electing a PCC is going to be the answer to all the trivial annoying problems in your area you are have been seriously misled.

The resources that are at present available to the police cannot cope with every wrongdoer and incident so those resources have to be applied where they are most needed.

Police resources are going to get less in the future but they could have grown. How? - forget the salary of the PCC, the cost of the admin and offices just consider the £75 million that the poll is costing!

I am a supporter of the present government but I think they have got this seriously wrong.

I know the poll is taking place today and there is nothing that can be done about it but I needed to let off some steam.

Like this post
tryanothername

Likes # 0

I think the whole idea is flawed and those people who are voting don't really understand what they are actually voting for.

Oh yes I do.

The vote is going ahead and to stick your head in the sand is your option. If you get a crap commissioner then you will have no grounds to complain. Just like those who like to spout politics but can't be bothered to get off their backsides and vote.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded