We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

police commissioner elections

passing through

Likes # 0

Do you think it is a good idea to have a commissioner of police instead of the old police authority. If the correct person is voted in, will they have the teeth and inclination to force chief constables to there way of thinking.

Or will you not be voting.

With a bit of luck our local candidate will sail in. http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Lord-Prescott-odds-favourite-PCC-role/story-17222944-detail/story.html

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Its now a waiting game to see if the 'best person' for the job as won the hearts of those that have voted.

But as I have mentioned in another thread, the role of PCC might not be very much different, because whilst its being stated that the PCC will be answerable to the public. A 'new' Police and Crime Panel will have the ultimate say on how things run. And what is this 'new' Police and Crime Panel, and in my opinion, no much different to the previous panel, which consisted of selected and possibly unelected by public vote local representatives of authority?.

I voted yesterday, but whether my vote will make the slightest difference, we will have to wait and see. In my location we had the option to vote for a new Mayor, and very few turned-out to do that. After twelve months into the job, there is now a petition being formed regarding the public having a referendum on this Mayor position and role and its true worth and value?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Where do you get the £75 million from? We are already paying for the Police Authorities so the salary and admin costs are likely to be the same or even less.

I voted because this will happen whether we like it or not and I would prefer to have a say in who gets elected rather than sit on the sidelines and then complain.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Woolwell

£75 million is what the election cost. Likened by one MP to 3000 policemen on the beat!

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

According to Madam Cooper, the cost is £100 million! And I understand that John Prescott has to go another round of votes because neither he nor the Conservative candidate achieved 50% of the first preference vote!!!!

What a joke!

TonyV

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

The official government figure was £75 million but she was bound to exaggerate as she's in the opposition. Had she been a Tory/Libdem it would have been £50 million well spent!

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Does he really think we are all that stupid?

think, no, hope, yes.

WTM

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

yes ... David Cameron thinks we are stupid.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm - what's the point of remembering the 16th?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm ... you are out on a limb, like this Tory coalition-led excuse for a UK government.Scotland should distance itself from this English silliness forthwith in 2014.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Clearly the turnout makes a bit of a mockery of the notion that the commissioners represent the public. Mind you it is not all bad - at least Lord John Prescott did not get in!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia