We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

police commissioner elections

passing through

Likes # 0

Do you think it is a good idea to have a commissioner of police instead of the old police authority. If the correct person is voted in, will they have the teeth and inclination to force chief constables to there way of thinking.

Or will you not be voting.

With a bit of luck our local candidate will sail in. http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Lord-Prescott-odds-favourite-PCC-role/story-17222944-detail/story.html

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

What happens, if this happens ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMnwzlwM1qs

Like this post
tryanothername

Likes # 0

Just come back from casting my vote. I think it is important to vote.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I think it is important to vote

I think the whole idea is flawed and those people who are voting don't really understand what they are actually voting for.

If you think that merely electing a PCC is going to be the answer to all the trivial annoying problems in your area you are have been seriously misled.

The resources that are at present available to the police cannot cope with every wrongdoer and incident so those resources have to be applied where they are most needed.

Police resources are going to get less in the future but they could have grown. How? - forget the salary of the PCC, the cost of the admin and offices just consider the £75 million that the poll is costing!

I am a supporter of the present government but I think they have got this seriously wrong.

I know the poll is taking place today and there is nothing that can be done about it but I needed to let off some steam.

Like this post
tryanothername

Likes # 0

I think the whole idea is flawed and those people who are voting don't really understand what they are actually voting for.

Oh yes I do.

The vote is going ahead and to stick your head in the sand is your option. If you get a crap commissioner then you will have no grounds to complain. Just like those who like to spout politics but can't be bothered to get off their backsides and vote.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Voted and certainly understood what I was voting for. However I think that we may have a record low turnout in my area.

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

perhaps Pine Man thinks those who do vote are moronic imbeciles?

Well I voted.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Your responses, unfortunately, have confirmed my original views. You have all voted on the premise that the PCC is going to make a difference to policing your problems. It would be nice if that was the case but only time will tell who was right.

£75 million, however, is a hell of a gamble with our money.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I didn't vote because I'm still not sure just what these commissioner chappies are for. Despite being aware of the elections, and seeing some of the TV debate, what difference will it make to real policing on the street?.

The commissioner elections strike me as being as irrelevant to Joe public as the annual building society AGM vote that we mostly ignore on account of not really knowing anymore of the running a building society than what the best interest rate is for ourselves, and the reports of the turnout figures suggest that's what the vast majority think too.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Pine Man "You have all voted on the premise that the PCC is going to make a difference to policing your problems."

I haven't voted on that premise. In any case how can you assume to know what premise I voted on. I don't think that the PCC will make any major difference. However it is probably better than the members who get to be on the Police Authority without any apparent public say.

I happen to think that those who voted in a low turn out may have had a greater chance to influence who is elected. It would appear that the vast majority, couldn't be bothered to find out about it and if they did couldn't be bothered to vote. They have disenfranchised themselves and only have themselves to blame if they now get a Commissioner that they do not like.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Woolwell

We are all entitled to our views and I certainly respect yours.

However you say;

'I happen to think that those who voted in a low turn out may have had a greater chance to influence who is elected'

...and go on to say

'I don't think that the PCC will make any major difference'.

So you effectively voted for someone to do a job that probably won't make any major difference apart from costing £75 million to establish who they are going to be and then pay them upto £100k per annum plus administrative costs.

You chose to vote and I didn't. Once the votes are counted I suspect that in excess of 80% of the electorate made the same choice as me for that reason or another.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...