We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

police commissioner elections

passing through

Likes # 0

Do you think it is a good idea to have a commissioner of police instead of the old police authority. If the correct person is voted in, will they have the teeth and inclination to force chief constables to there way of thinking.

Or will you not be voting.

With a bit of luck our local candidate will sail in. http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Lord-Prescott-odds-favourite-PCC-role/story-17222944-detail/story.html

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spuds - We have a retired copper standing in my area.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I've just filled in my voting paper. I didn't know any of them, so I voted No one for the only independent candidate on the form and No two for the only female name on the list.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Your last sums up all that needs to be said about these ridiculous elections.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I agree.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

We have had one flyer advertising an applicant for this post in our area; the remainder don't appear to think we exist or matter!

Unfortunately the one who advertised himself is an ex-councillor on a big pension who seems to believe he has the power to change the law with no reference to Parliament :-((

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

We have a good choice down here in Surrey

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I know that the annual salary for the PCC will be about £85k but has anybody yet suggested what the additional costs will be?

He or she will not be able to do the job single handed so will inevitably have a substantial administrative and research staff. That staff and he or she will need offices, which will have to be furnished and need telecommunications and IT installing.

What's the best guess for the annual overall costs of this new political brainwave? Maybe about £250k ish? Multiply that by the 43 UK police forces and you are looking at around £10/11 million per annum.

Scary isn't it and given that all forces have extremely limited resources does any body really expect these PCCs to make any real difference?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Pine Man - you haven't taken into account the existing Police Authority which is being replaced by the PCC. For instance my Police Authority has about 20 staff. The new PCC's should be taking over these offices and staff and perhaps insisting on a reduction in staff.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There was a program on television the other evening, and it appeared with the studio debate and interviewing the 'high street' public, that very few people knew who were their local candidates, and what the job actually entailed. Most people seemed to complain about lack of published information, especially from the prospective candidates. Other's seemed to express the view that this was more political, than for the public.

There was a government advisor involved in this, who was in full support for the system, yet other organisations like Liberty had doubts about the true value of this new position of public participation, direct contact or actual accountability, as things progressed.

Going off subject, but in the city that I live near, we were given no choice about having an elected Mayor. This as brought all sorts of problems and now there is talk about having a referendum on the issues of having a Mayor or actually getting rid of them. Apparently you only need 12.000 votes to force a referendum, and I wonder if this same rule applies to the new position of police Commissioner, if sufficient people become dissatisfied?.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Woolwell

A good point - thanks for that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home