We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Good Looking Nuisance Flogging Laptops?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Every time I come on to this site now I get a handsome salesman trying to flog laptops. How do I get rid of him? I've got a feeling it's not going to be easy. He keeps popping up in the top right hand corner of my screen.

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 1

Hey - no offence taken in this quarter if you find the site and sound of my rotten old face annoying. Imagine how annoying I find it! I'm sure FE agrees. Just one of the things we have to do to support our sponsors, who in turn keep the site free.

I agree it should be limited - and personally I don't think it's relevant for the forum anyway. I'll see what I can do.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Matt. No offence intended on my part, I just thought I would supply the bullets for someone else to fire. Don't worry about the advert. I stop the sound in its tracks so to speak. I wondered if anybody had actually noticed it was you selling whatever it is you are selling. Keep up the good work.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"if you find the site and sound of my rotten old face annoying. Imagine how annoying I find it! I'm sure FE agrees."

In the words of The Iron Lady "You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment"

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Ha! No worries at all Bing.alau - I genuinely think that it's unhelpful for people to see that ad more than once. (And if you consider that I spend my entire life looking at this site, and think about how awful we all find the sounds of our own voices on an answerphone... you'll appreciate just how teeth-grittingly awful I find it. As I say: one of the things we do for our sponsors in return for their support.)

And FE - it's as well you don't comment, or I'll be pimping you out for the next campaign!

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I turn the computer on and someone tries to sell me something. I answer the door and someone tries to sell me something. I answer the phone and someone tries to sell me something. I turn on the TV and someone tries to sell me something.

I'm afraid it's life and you have to let it pass over you, or you will be driven to distraction.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Napoleon should have said that we are a nation of salespeople, not shopkeepers.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bing.alau, your post reminds me of Private Walker ... [or was that ... Private Egan] (The Spiv) from BBC TV's Dad's Army ... who was always trying to get rid of stuff ... by displaying the 'gear' attached to the inside lining of his overcoat ... (when he was in civies) ;o)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"In the words of The Iron Lady "You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment""

Not the Iron Lady (though it could well have been!) but Francis Urquhart in the brilliant "House of Cards"

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"Not the Iron Lady (though it could well have been!)"

It was indeed the Iron Lady. She said it in the Commons, and was greeted with roars of laughter.

I'm well aware that Francis Urquhart said it, and that's what made Margaret Thatcher's line so funny - she knew what she was saying. She was a fan of the programme.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I dont get any pop ups adds on my Vista laptop, but I do on Win7 PC on this site.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days