We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Beer Glasses

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

This week I watched the Detective Series "DCI Banks" on ITV. Superb books, TV not too bad.

The hero was in a pub in the Yorkshire Dales and was drinking beer from a dimple pint glass. I always understood that up North, the normal beer glasses were straight. Spent many, mostly happy years, in Yorks and Lincs and remember straights were the norm.

Have things changed? Before anyone jumps in I do realise that it is not the type of glass that matters its the quality of the contents.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Half pint dimples used to be "de rigueur" in the Officers' Mess, where they were invariably held in the crook of the elbow by the younger poseurs!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I always thought the beer tasted better in the thinner glasses. Mind you I was mainly in to drinking German lager when I was stationed in Germany, and they didn't have dimpled glasses over there for lager. Somebody else will probably say otherwise now of course. I suppose the NAAFI and messes used dimpled glasses as well. Of course those frauleins in Munich's beer halls carried even bigger and heavier glasses with no problems at all.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Frauleins? Carrying bigger, heavier glasses?

loadsabeer

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

csqwared. That's some ugly looking fraulein.

I think that was a Herr trying to break the World record for carrying steins of bier. I don't think I could even lift one of those dimpled glasses. It was a good effort though wasn't it?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Can I have a pint of beer please, barmaid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlcZvOB3kRM#t=9m35s

Like this post
daconnor

Likes # 0

You've all missed the point regarding heavy dimpled glasses. It's nowt to do with enjoying your pint from one it's more to do with avoiding getting clobbered with one. Sad, but true.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

Bingalau, Do you remember the Boilermakers glass we used to have down in the Dock road pubs? They weighed a ton, had a handle, and although the top was round, it was an octagonal shape. It was probably so called because the boilermakers in the shipyards had lost all feeling in their forefingers and thumb, after holding so many hot rivets.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Macscouse

The glass you refer to was called a 'fluted pint', and many people considered it the best glass ever made for beer drinking. It was introduced in the late 1920s when brewers were looking for a strong, durable glass that was easier to grip when washing it up.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I keep telling the wife that's it's not my fault if I drink to much enter link description here and I do prefer to drink out of a dimple glass it just feels nice in the hand, sadly most of the pubs now just hand out plastic glasses and they are nasty.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Macscouse.

Yes I remember them and we even still had some in the cellar of the pub I managed. But we never brought them up. The only time I ever got rid of one of those was when a tourist from Canada asked me if he could take a beer mat (yes one of those cardboard ones) home as a souvenir. I took him down the cellar and gave him a big selection of all the different ones I had, I also gave him a selection of glasses,ash trays, bar towels and other items. He was delighted and asked if I did this for all the tourists. I told him that I didn't, but because he had been so good and honest enough to actually ask, it was a pleasure to give them to him. He said they would go down well in his garden shed/bar back home.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features