We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Beer Glasses

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

This week I watched the Detective Series "DCI Banks" on ITV. Superb books, TV not too bad.

The hero was in a pub in the Yorkshire Dales and was drinking beer from a dimple pint glass. I always understood that up North, the normal beer glasses were straight. Spent many, mostly happy years, in Yorks and Lincs and remember straights were the norm.

Have things changed? Before anyone jumps in I do realise that it is not the type of glass that matters its the quality of the contents.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

morddwyd I well remember the young poseurs, one joined our crew but we soon sorted him out. Trained him so well that we all thought that he would make CAS but, unfortunately, he got religion and has just retired as a Rev. Canon in the S.West.

I was never very keen on half pint glasses - drinking half pints always makes me thirsty.

Love the way this thread has thrown up some Glass Adverts, a very interesting, wide ranging, collection of glasses.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Yes there are many different types of glasses for drinking out of. When I retired I had collected quite a few different types. But now when I have a drink of my favourite Dark & Stormy, I only use the Chrystal lead glasses my wife bought over the years. She kept them in a cabinet so they were never used. But now I use them all the time and think of her when I do so. I haven't broke any yet nor have my friends or family when they use them. My daughter tells me her mum will have my guts for garters, if I do break any.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

One of my local pubs still have their clients personal 'pots' behind the bar, for usage when they arrive. And what a motley crew and scene this can produce at times of enjoyment!.

What ever happened to the idea that all drinking utensils in pubs and clubs were to be made of easy disposal and harmless material?.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Perhaps you should ask the good people of Mobile. Seems there is a shortage of Beer glasses there.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've noticed that [on the rare occasion that I am in a pub] the smokers will put a beer mat over their pint glasses whilst they 'dally' outside the premises for a 5 minute 'puff'; the surface area of the square beer mats aforementioned (with rounded corners ... sorry Apple, beer mats beat you to it), nicely cover the contents of the tall pint glass recepticles ... the squatty dimensions of the dimpled beer glass(es), on the other hand, would require a beer mat of greater surface area. Need I say more.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... I didn't mean to be so BOLD , FE.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"One of my local pubs still have their clients personal 'pots' behind the bar, for usage when they arrive."

I'd quite forgotten that custom.

Fred Watters always kept one for me in the Great Western in Newquay.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

They can always borrow a bar towel from the bar steward while they slip out for a fag. It will not be very hygienic if it is soggy from laying on the bar of course, but it might add flavour whilst they are smoking outside. In fact it might add content too.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Out here in Thailand most people drink direct from the bottle which comes in a pre-cooled foam container. If you come across a bar which serves draft beer then it is most likely to come in a small glass rather than a bigger one as it will warm up too quickly in the bigger glass. Both glasses will however have handles.

At home in the UK my favourite drinking glasses are the ones that I have from Germany, Cologne area, which are produced for a local beer called Kiltch (or something like that). I think 5 brewers make their own glasses purely for this beer and they hold less than a half pint. I find them very sociable to use and people can drink less if they so chose to do so. They are however at risk in dishwashers as the glass is quite thin so having German friends who can replenish my stock is helpful.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...