We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Beer Glasses

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

This week I watched the Detective Series "DCI Banks" on ITV. Superb books, TV not too bad.

The hero was in a pub in the Yorkshire Dales and was drinking beer from a dimple pint glass. I always understood that up North, the normal beer glasses were straight. Spent many, mostly happy years, in Yorks and Lincs and remember straights were the norm.

Have things changed? Before anyone jumps in I do realise that it is not the type of glass that matters its the quality of the contents.

Like this post
the.hick

Likes # 0

I recall in the film 'Get Carter', when Jack Carter (Michael Caine) gets to Newcastle he goes for a pint, and requests - 'In a thin glass please', so there was a choice then. However, from my visits to Yorkshire area, does seem mostly straight type glasses.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

If you watch 'Last of the Summer wine' they mostly seem to drink from 'Dimple' glasses with handles.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Dimple's are on the way out - cost more, more liable to break in washing-up machine, store less on the shelves and larger drinkers dont like them. (when did you last see a lager advert without a fancy glass?)

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

wiz-king

Is that LARGER LAGER drinkers, and if so why don't they like 'em? ;o)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

BT Larger drinkers cant get so many empties on the table! Partly because of the belly overhang and because the dimple gasses take up more space :0)

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

In the pub I managed we used mostly what are called "Tulip" shaped glasses. The big dimpled glasses were asked for now and again. But as has been mentioned already, are a bit on the clumsy side for carrying and washing etc. Even the half pints were too heavy for the little demure ladies of Liverpool.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Ah Yes, but dimple glasses have handles which, if holding the glass around its circumference with the fingers through it, stops the glass slipping from the grip when eyes glaze and hands numb ;-))

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I didn't let my barmaids get in to that state *,-))

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I worked in the brewing industry for quite a few years, and we used to hear all kinds of theories about why certain people and certain areas favoured one or the other shape of beer glass.

Real ale purists used to go on about how the thin glass allowed the beer to be warmed slightly by the drinker's lips as it passed from glass to mouth, allowing the full flavour to be appreciated.

It made us smile, because the beer is too cool, and the volume across the lip/glass junction is usually too great to allow any temperature change to take place. What was a fact is that dimple glasses tended to have a longer life, and were less likely to be used as weapons in 'glassing' attacks.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

being a Yorkshire man, I can say that a number of years ago you nearly always had a choice, dimpled,(which was also named barrel glass),or straight. In village pubs dimpled glasses seemed to be popular. Now though I hardly see anyone drinking out of anything but straight. I always thought the reason why you don't see as many now was that the dimple/barrel glasses would be more expensive to produce or replace.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...