We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 767

Brumas

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

I shall leave a GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD for the night shift. Is that a bust of Faraday I see lurking in the corner?

click here

click here

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

The Royal Institute, Albemarle Street, London

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Al94 is this a guess or do you know for sure?

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

A guess, unable to confirm but that's where he did all his research.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Or could the bust be of William Macbride Childs ??

WMC

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

It could be a rotary spark transmitter, at the back of the assembly it looks like there is a coil and just in front of that are two balls that the spark jumps between. Just in front of that are what looks like two motors, I suspect one of them is a motor and the other one is a rotary spark generator.

I think the picture is older than what the date on the back of the card suggests, because by 1914, around the time of the Titanic, they were quite advanced by then and were using large rotary spark transmitters, the Titanic transmitter was 5KW which was massive for those days. If you look at the diagram part of the way down the page there is a schematic of the rotary spark transmitter used on the Titanic, you can see the motor/generator, spark gap and coil assembly.

As for the lab, it could be anywhere, maybe even Tesla, Edison or Marconi who would have been experimenting with these devices around that time.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1914 50 years too late for Faraday's lab :0)

WMC Westinghouse Manufacturing Company?

It was George Westinghouse that worked with Tesla's AC system but as a less able business man he lost out to Westinghouse who bought his patents.

There seems to be devices in the picture to generate static electricity

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Not forgetting Faraday himself.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Westinghouse Manufacturing Company?"

Was there ever such a company?

I remember it as Westinghouse Brake, which later morphed into Westinghouse Electric.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The contraption might be a prototype of an electric printer or copier as there appears to be a stack of white paper at one end; the heavy looking cylindrical drums and pulley system appear to be balanced on short wooden plinths over what might be a conveyer-belt operated by the large crank-handle on the side of the machine.The paper sheets would come out at the other end.[The beaker of liquid is a bit of a mystery].

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......