We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 767

Brumas

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

I shall leave a GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD for the night shift. Is that a bust of Faraday I see lurking in the corner?

click here

click here

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Aitchbee.

It may be a machine for coating paper with china clay. Looking at all the white dust around the place made me think of paper dust but there is an awful lot of it. I wouldn't like to work in that atmosphere if it is some kind of dust.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... yes, that pile of paper I mentioned, looks more like square tiles, perhaps.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

morddwyd seems we're both right :0)

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/papr/west/westelec.html

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

I wondered about Marconi, but the bust is definitely not his. However the spheres look a bit like the makings of a spark generator and there is a spindle (aerial) affair above and behind. An early transmitter?

The area of the supply cable and various meters suggest a competent power company and some large currents

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Thought it might be the Oxford Electrical Laboratory part of the Clarendon Laboratory but can't find a picture

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

WMC

Working Mens Club? Perhaps they rented out the upstairs room even in those days?

WTM

(Who Told Me?)

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Drum on the top looks like a tombola ticket drum? A very early lottery machine? Apart from that can't add more to previous answers.

Noldi

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Drum at the top looks like a frame aerial, College Science Lab somewhere? Electric motor looks to be driving a grinding wheel.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Could it be grinding down ceramic tiles? That might account for all the dust.

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

Looks like plates/discs inside the cabinet, makes me think it might possibly be an Electro-static machine, similar to those used in early x-ray and medical electro-therapy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide