We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ash Dieback Disease

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I know it's a catastrophe for our native woodlands, but isn't it a bit of overkill activating COBRA?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

According to Wiki, incidents of national crisis, so it's not just the press.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Isn't it that COBRA is the co-ordinating committee for anything that goes across departments"

That's precisely what it is. COBR or COBRA as it's become known is a committee that meets to discuss anything that could be termed a crisis having national importance. It doesn't have to be a matter involving the military, although it has come to be perceived in that way by the press and by the public.

COBR stands for Cabinet Office Briefing Room, and because meetings used to be held in meeting room A the COBRA acronym was born.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I'm aware of all of that.

I still think it's an overreaction, which is what I posted about.

Obviously others, such as yourselves and the Prime Minister, do not agree.

"a committee that meets to discuss anything that could be termed a crisis having national importance."

It's a crisis, but I don't agree it is of national importance.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"'According to Wiki'

'Nuff said"

I think you're being a bit unfair.

I have posted on several occasions that I do not regard Wiki as an authoritative source, but it is nevertheless much too great a source of general information to be dismissed in such a cavalier fashion.

As the Ecuadorian ambassador will verify, the US government certainly regards some of it as accurate!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

"I still think it's an overreaction, which is what I posted about."

Ninety percent of all the ash trees in Denmark have been killed by this fungus, and now it appears to be spreading all over Europe.

Apart from enhancing our woodlands and parks ash trees provide food and shelter for all kinds of wildlife, including rare and threatened species. The timber is used extensively in the furniture and plywood industries, and for making bowls, the frames of Morgan cars, guitars, tool handles, hockey sticks, and many other items.

It certainly isn't an overreaction for the government to view the possibility of ash trees being wiped out by disease as a crisis, in fact it should have reacted when wildlife organisations issued warnings over three years ago.

You may not think the situation is of national importance, but those in the know think differently.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"but those in the know think differently."

That, if I might make so bold, FE, is stating the b*g obvious!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"That, if I might make so bold, FE, is stating the b*g obvious!"

But not obvious to you, evidently.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"But not obvious to you, evidently."

Of course it's obvious to me.

You, fourm member and the Prime Minister think differently to me.

Not the first time and probably not the last!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I can understand how you might think that the threat to our nation's ash trees is not something that might be termed a national crisis, but perhaps that's because you - like millions of people, let it be said - think about COBRA as something that is only mentioned in the context of grave threats to our national security, or when we are likely to be drawn into a foreign conflict.

COBRA obviously meets on those occasions, but that isn't its sole function - it meets to discuss anything of national importance that is going to involve a concerted action on the part of more than one government department, and is likely to impact large numbers of people. COBRA meets, for instance, when there's an outbreak of foot and mouth disease, or when there is serious flooding.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

After reading what has become a bit of a heated thread, I think they're probably right to take this as seriously as they are.

In the '70s our local woodland and lanes were decimated by the effects of Dutch Elm disease, with the effects of massive felling still obvious. In the last few years all the local conker trees have born no fruit and are in danger of being felled because of the leaf parasite disease that's killing them slowly. So for another serious disease to threaten a third major native British tree species, the threat to the balance of wildlife over the next decade or so could be pretty devastating.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad